Plastic paradise: The shocking extent of ocean waste

Quote:
(Plastic waste is a gigantic problem that we all have to take responsibility for, and one in which engineers have a key role in solving.)
Henderson Island, part of the UK’s Pitcairn Islands territory, lies near the centre of the Southern Pacific Gyre, one of the ocean vortexes where discarded plastic collects. As one of the most remote islands on the planet, and a UNESCO World Heritage site, you might expect Henderson to be an unspoilt paradise. But a study published this week revealed a very different picture. Researchers from the University of Tasmania’s Institute for Marine and Antarctic Studies (IMAS), working alongside the RSPB, found the island’s beaches littered with 671 pieces of plastic per square metre. Extrapolating from that, they estimate that the uninhabited Henderson, more than 5,000 miles from a major population centre, contains about 38 million pieces of plastic.
Endqiuote
#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    A.V.Ramani
    one in which engineers have a key role in solving.
    ...'creating', IMHO. 😔
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ...'creating', IMHO. 😔
    Sad, but true.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

HI ..... I AM A GRADUATE IN COMPUTER SCIENCE FROM AGRA UNIVERSITY WILLING TO PURSUE CAREER IN THE SAME FIELD...HEARD IPU COLLEGES ARE GOING GOOD ...CAN SOMEONE SUGGEST ME HOW...
Will they? Not in India I guess. Not in the near future. Even if it does happen, how will the electric power be generated? Unless it is nuclear power, thermal...
Hi guys Some of the old members would know @spandana07 sings.. She has a smule account. I request all of you to please listen and follow her to support her....
Nubia India, on Monday, has released a new smartphone named N1 Lite in India. The device is priced at Rs 7,999 and is now available on Amazon exclusively at a...
Hello Engineers, I am having some questions related to sitemap. If i will not put sitemap for my website then also google crawlers are able to detect my website pages...