physical significance of block size and valid subnets

Hi,

I am asking this question from the context of subnets and subnetting.

I read an article that uses block size to determine the number of valid subnets. The idea is to first find the total number of subnets and then starting 0, find multiples of block size until this count happens to just reach 'total subnets possible' or a value less than it.

For example, The question was to find the number of valid subnets for 192.168.1.0/26. Clearly, the number of host bits borrowed are 2, so total subnets are 2^2 = 4. So far so good. Now the block size was calculated as (256-192) = 64. This is also correct. Then the valid subnets are 0,64,128,192.
In this example, the total number of subnets (=4) is same as the valid subnets computed (4 in number). So, it is safe to assume that in this case, there were no "invalid" subnets.

Now, do invalid subnets exist? If yes, then what causes them to get invalid?

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello friends, What inference can be drawn from the statement "we cannot assign network ID and broadcast address to a host". In what context is the author talking about?
Quote: Car manufacturers love to show off their futuristic car designs. Some of these innovative features are even incorporated into soon-to-be-released models. Other concepts may not be seen in production...
I m confused about my aim. while i think a lot. finaly it comes into my mind to startup but i haven't any knowledge about how start actually. From where...
I am final year student pursuing Telecommunication and Information Engineering. Anyone with a final year project to kindly help?
Reliance Jio owned LYF smartphone brand has been rising steadily since its launch. Today it is the fifth biggest brand in the Indian smartphone market. LYF has different ranges of...