Photodiode vs photodetector

hello,

Is there any difference between a photodiode and a photodetector as far as their principle of working and their application is concerned in electronic circuits.
PLEASE HELP

regards,
Proffy.

Replies

• aarthivg
    aarthivg
    photo diode is used to convert light into either current or voltage.
    And photo detector is a light sensor.

P.S: correct me if I am wrong
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    proffy
    hello,

Is there any difference between a photodiode and a photodetector as far as their principle of working and their application is concerned in electronic circuits.
    PLEASE HELP

regards,
    Proffy.
    I think working principle of both Photodiode and Photodetector are same. Changes current passing thorough it changes based on the light falling.
  • hsirah5
    hsirah5
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Both Photo-detector and photo-diode are one and the same..😎 It works on the principle of conversion of light into electrical current...
    #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-#
    Your understanding on the working is correct.. 😀
  • munesh kumar
    munesh kumar
    @ photo-diode is a component in which a p-n junction exist.and the operation through photo diode in reverse bias and less sensitive .and photo detector or optical sensor may be npn or pnp type more sensitive and used with reflectors for industrial automation.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Photo diode is one type of photo detector.
    PDF
    PDF
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    bioramani
    Photo diode is one type of photo detector.
    PDF
    PDF
    This! I was gonna write that photodetector is actually a category in which photo diode is one of the element, but I just didn't to save myself embarrassment in case I have a misconception ..haha

Any component that is sensitive to light of any kind is a photodetector. Be it a photodiode, phototransistor or an LDR.

Just break the word photodetector, you get photo = Light and detector. So anything which detects light is a photodetector.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, does the color emitted by a LED depend on the current passing through it or it merely depends upon the material used for fabricating the LEDS.. Also enlighten me...
Has anyone taken education loan for engineering out here? I'm really scared about this and literally I know nothing about the process.. My semester exams are just in the corner...
hii frnds, I got selected in Virtusa on Dec'2011.I'm from 2012 passout batch. Still waiting for the offer letter.Is there any information regarding offer letter please share it.. Thanks &...
MIT engineers have developed a jet injection that can administer drugs into blood without needing a needle. The device comprises of a magnet surrounded by coils that carry current. When...
Engineering students at Brigham Young University (BYU) have developed a hybrid racing car and they're calling it 'Hybrid Blue'. The car is capable of accelerating from 0 to 100 kmph...