CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@pratap singh, upendra • 23 May, 2012
hello,

Is there any difference between a photodiode and a photodetector as far as their principle of working and their application is concerned in electronic circuits.
PLEASE HELP

regards,
Proffy.
@aarthivg • 23 May, 2012 photo diode is used to convert light into either current or voltage.
And photo detector is a light sensor.

P.S: correct me if I am wrong
@Harshad Italiya • 24 May, 2012 • 1 like
proffy
hello,

Is there any difference between a photodiode and a photodetector as far as their principle of working and their application is concerned in electronic circuits.
PLEASE HELP

regards,
Proffy.
I think working principle of both Photodiode and Photodetector are same. Changes current passing thorough it changes based on the light falling.
@hsirah5 • 24 May, 2012 • 1 like proffy
Both Photo-detector and photo-diode are one and the same..😎 It works on the principle of conversion of light into electrical current...
aarthivg and godfather
Your understanding on the working is correct.. 😀
@munesh kumar • 29 Jul, 2012 @ photo-diode is a component in which a p-n junction exist.and the operation through photo diode in reverse bias and less sensitive .and photo detector or optical sensor may be npn or pnp type more sensitive and used with reflectors for industrial automation.
@[Prototype] • 30 Jul, 2012
bioramani
Photo diode is one type of photo detector.
https://www.ele.uri.edu/courses/ele432/spring08/photo_detectors.pdf
https://physlab.lums.edu.pk/images/1/10/Photodiode_circuit.pdf
This! I was gonna write that photodetector is actually a category in which photo diode is one of the element, but I just didn't to save myself embarrassment in case I have a misconception ..haha

Any component that is sensitive to light of any kind is a photodetector. Be it a photodiode, phototransistor or an LDR.

Just break the word photodetector, you get photo = Light and detector. So anything which detects light is a photodetector.
4.8k views

Related Posts

@tanvisharma · Mar 12, 2013

hi friends i just came to know about roundone.in , which is a site for job opportunities through paid referral. does anyone know bout this? can i give a try?...
26.4k views

@Kaustubh Katdare · Oct 6, 2008

CEans, Has anyone among us had a chance to try out Yamaha FZ16? If yes, could you please post a review (covering all the technical/non-technical) aspects of the motorcycle?
3.5k views

@hishmat · Mar 2, 2011

Dear friends, I am student of metallurgy & material engineering. On which topic I'll conduct project? Please give me instruction about my final year project topics
6k views

@Ankita Katdare · Feb 3, 2015

Yesterday evening one of my friend's mum called me up to ask if I can install WhatsApp on her old phone. I now have it and it's a Samsung Duos...
2k views

@Kaustubh Katdare · Jun 25, 2011

The AADHAR or UIDAI (aka Unique Identification Authority Of India) API (aka Application Programming Interface) has been released for software engineers free of cost. For the uninitiated, UIDAI is India's...
3.8k views