Performance Appraisals – 3 Areas of Improvement You Can Live With

Companies often tie rewards such as bonuses and merit increment to a person’s rating in a performance appraisal. From an employee’s perspective, it’s thus about highlighting as much achievements as possible, and downplaying weaknesses or areas where improvement is required.

However, there is of course no such thing as the perfect employee. Most companies require employees and their managers to indicate at least a couple of areas of improvements, and plans on how to achieve those goals in the next review period.

As such, it is important to write “areas of improvement” in such a way that it does not have a negative impact on you professionally.
Here are 3 areas of improvement or development plans that you can live with, or even put you in a good light.

Area of Improvement # 1: Improve soft skills such as presentation or negotiation skills. Everyone needs to improve their soft skills, and highlighting this has no impact on your professionalism.

Area of Improvement # 2: Increase proficiency in internal systems – most large companies have complex internal systems to say the least. Wanting to improve your proficiency in using internal systems does not affect your professional work (unless of course you’re in fact responsible for the system).

Area of Improvement # 3: Improve cross group collaboration – again, most large companies struggle with cross group collaboration particularly those with complex matrix reporting structures . Your desire to improve collaboration implies you’re a team player.

These development plans are generic, and can be included in your performance feedback regardless of industry, company or role you’re in.

David Russell (author for Phrases For Performance Appraisals)

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We'd be happy if you could share few tips on the following -

Area of Improvement # 1: Improve soft skills such as presentation or negotiation skills. Everyone needs to improve their soft skills, and highlighting this has no impact on your professionalism.
  • vegetablevn
    vegetablevn
    The_Big_K
    We'd be happy if you could share few tips on the following -
    Hi everybody,

You can see same topic at the side bar of this site. You can find out some thing same your questions or use search box.
  • mrngorickets
    mrngorickets
    Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.
    Best regards.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Requesting #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# if they can share what manager could write in the areas of improvements during performance appraisals. I guess there are categories for competencies which could include - communication, leadership, problem solving, articulation of ideas, priority setting, domain knowledge, technical skills, dedication or attitude, result-oriented approach, analytical skills etc.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Manager always wants from a candidate to Team player and someone who can be stick to company as long as they can.
    Also, a resource needs to rise on vertical ladder of organization. They need handle responsibility of next level then only they get promoted.

So, Area of improvement is divided in two category
    1. If a resource is under-performer. So manager ask them to improve to current level of responsibility (Can be technical/Team Player/handling extra stuffs)
    2. If resource is performing well. A manger identify the spot for him/her which they can fit. So, they fill ask them to work on those responsibility. It's not improvement but the opportunity step up on organization ladder.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Indian IT companies most of them have taken away the meaning of performance appraisal.
    But what areas of improvements i write, always match with the associate's aspirations which he communicated earlier and couldnt do it because he is busy. So i give them time and opportunity to work and prove it.

It can be any thing, technical , soft skills etc.

And also i think these days, these appraisals are over rated, we cant give proper appraisal anytime and we have to follow hell lot of rules and there will be a HR rules always we have to keep in mind. So its more or less i think and i believe is how much budget you have? and rest everything will be based on that budgets 😀

THe only exception are exceptional people at the top and bottom, at top they will be given good , at bottom bad simple. Rest everything is to pass time and keep the associate for next year!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, my opinion is slightly different. I think one 'area' which is often ignored, but is something that gets the job of attracting good ratings done. I'm not sure if it's relevant only in Indian context. So what is it anyway?

>>>How friendly you are with your manager

If you are the one who gels well with your manager - you can be sure of getting good grades, irrespective of the work you've done for the company. I know I sound grossly negative; but I've seen it happening year after year. If you are the one who shares a smoke or a drink with your manager often; talk about personal problems and manage to get sympathy - you're on your way to glory in the corporate ladder.

I've seen people who regularly shared their personal problems with their manager; making the manager their 'personal guide, philosopher and guru' and the manager would never let his/her follower fail (get average grades).

My general advice - start working on ensuring that you make your manager feel like he/she holds an important place in your life. Crack jokes with them, tell them your personal problems, get advice from them (general life's advice and professional advice) and make them feel like a leader who owns you. Do it even if it's against your ego - because that's what will get you good grades.

Sorry for the rant, but what I wrote above works. Always.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    My general advice - start working on ensuring that you make your manager feel like he/she holds an important place in your life. Crack jokes with them, tell them your personal problems, get advice from them (general life's advice and professional advice) and make them feel like a leader who owns you. Do it even if it's against your ego - because that's what will get you good grades.
    Instead of this I would prefer to change my Manager 😁.

Saandeep Sreerambatla
    So its more or less i think and i believe is how much budget you have? and rest everything will be based on that budgets
    True that.👍
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anoop Kumar
    Instead of this I would prefer to change my Manager
    ...and the story repeats. I'd rather treat this as a 'game' to play; where I don't let my ego spoil it. Managers will be the same everywhere, because the systems they are a part of is more or less the same. There's shit everywhere - no matter what profession you choose. Even if you decide on becoming your own boss; the 'customers' will become the 'boss', indirectly.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I think following can be listed as areas of improvement:

1. Communicating.
    It could be your problems, appreciation, orientation or simply conveying your opinions. There has to be transparency at work and for that clear communication is a big must.

2. Goal setting.
    Make them set personal goals next to official goals. This will help them assess their own performance. Goals can also be set for small teams or teams within teams.

3. Task Prioritisation
    This is definitely needed. Most employees fail at giving priority levels to the tasks assigned to them. This can be a major area of improvement during performance appraisals.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Did we forget Task Delegation?

It may not apply to the junior engineers who have no one reporting to them. But for anyone who's got someone reporting to them, task delegation could be an important appraisal - area of improvement. 

• Jasmine SA
    Jasmine SA

"Improve soft skills such as presentation or negotiation skills. Everyone needs to improve their soft skills, and highlighting this has no impact on your professionalism."

Couldn't agree more about presentation skills and negotiation skills. These skills are often underrated and employees in the technical role ignore them. I work for a startup where the responsibility sales is shared by the devs and we had to organise a training session for all of us focused on simple negotiation skills. There are lot of videos available on youtube that offer great content. 

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Share your success quotes. Let me start with few that I really like. "Change brings opportunity! Quick change brings quick opportunity" - T Harv Eker "Success doesn't come to you…you...
please tell me how to implement parallel steering in a off road vehicle also provide (if you can) the necessary diagrams thank you
I am a final year engineering student specializing in Information Technology field.Can you please suggest me some latest topics for seminar??
Hi All, Anyone here know the answer of the folowing old puzzle. I could never know its answer. Three friends went to a hotel. The bill was 75 bucks .Each...
Yep! It's Unbelievable! Dr. Stephen Wolfram, creator of Mathematica & WolframAlpha has agreed to answer your questions on CrazyEngineers! We, however, have a very strict deadline. We'll accept the questions...