Pepsi's Green Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) Bottles

PepsiCo has developed Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) bottles to sell the sugar water. Using pine bark, switch grass and corn husks Pepsi's developed bottles that will certainly help in reducing the carbon footprint. The PET is 100% recyclable.

Company's researchers said that they have created a special type of molecular structure using bio-chemcial processes. The new molecule structure is similar to petroleum based PET but created using plant materials. The new bottle looks exactly similar to current PET bottles. The company uses agro by-products like orange peels, potato peels and oat hulls. Company's CEO, Indra Nooyi said that Pepsi being world's largest foods and bevarages manufacturer is in a unique position to source the by-products of its agri-business to manufacture environment friendly bottles to serve its products.

[​IMG]

This announcement is certainly going to affect Pepsi's main competitor, Coca Cola. The Coca Cola company currently uses 30% plant material in their bottles and have said that they've been able to create 100% recyclable bottles in their laboratories and currently testing the product. Both companies manufacture millions of bottles every year and the green initiatives from both these companies is welcome. Going by the statistics, only 30% of global petroleum based PET is used in manufacturing of bottles for the soft drinks.

The official release of PET based bottles is expected to begin in 2012.

Via: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I remember my first every computer, powered by Windows 95 got attacked with a virus within just 45 days. How? I had inserted a floppy-disk I had obtained from a...
Steve Jobs says that we're in the post-PC era defined by iPod, iPhone and the latest iPad. The tablet computers are taking over the primary means of personal computing and...
Call of Duty, the gaming series very popular with the gamers all over the world, has set another record. Its 7th part, Call of Duty: Black Ops, has been officially...
In the world of internet where everybody is browsing, surfing, social networking, etc. why would anybody want to be left behind? A new site by the name Bump.com has come...
Children are always fascinated when they see a program on Discovery channel regarding Plane crash or about any such disaster. These programs are made so interesting that we get involved...