CrazyEngineers
  • avii
    avii

MemberNov 21, 2013

Paid iOS apps gone free

There are many apps which provide this service, but most of them I found out to be crap. Nowadays developers are exploiting this to popularize their apps.

So I decided to start my own thing where I can share 'really' good apps which have gone free. The idea is simple, either follow this new twitter handle #-Link-Snipped-# or keep checking this thread. I will post here and as well in twitter.

Do note that I hate doing this manually. So I have built a (not so) intelligent system, which first checks apps which have gone free from paid, second it sees how's its popularity. It considers iTunes ratings and/or web popularity and/or if it is trending on twitter etc. This is very basic system (not open sourced yet), so you may get duplicate links, or apps which may not be that good also. Thanks to Twitter API, it posts on twitter automatically. So basically, I can spend more time improving this system rather than posting tweets. Secondly, Xenforo does not have good API, so I may miss one or two links posting here.

You can give me some ideas for measuring 'good'ness of an app. Thank you 😎
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorNov 21, 2013

You just got your first follower, @#-Link-Snipped-# . Looking forward to tweets. We look to introduce ability to embed tweets, but not sure if that's what you want.
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • avii

MemberNov 21, 2013

Kaustubh Katdare
    We look to introduce ability to embed tweets, but not sure if that's what you want.
    You mean tweets embedded in Xenforo's posts ?
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorNov 21, 2013

avii
    You mean tweets embedded in Xenforo's posts ?
    Right.
    Cancel
  • avii

MemberNov 22, 2013

Yes, but xenforo won't allow HTML embedding otherwise it can cause major security problems. But I can make same tweet to be posted here

Following is the embed code:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Password Manager Secure + on the App Store on iTunes <a href="#-Link-Snipped-#">#-Link-Snipped-# iosguy (@iosappguy) <a href="#-Link-Snipped-#">November 22, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

But I can format it someway so that it looks like a tweet with fonts etc.
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorNov 22, 2013

We'll do this using BB codes. I'm still to examine the security aspects; and decide on whether to include it or not.
    Cancel
  • avii

MemberNov 22, 2013

I suggest you not to include it (if you mean enabling HTML in posts).

Yes, with BB codes it should be possible, or may be a xenforo plugin, something like [twt]twitter-post-link[/twt]

I am not a PHP guy, otherwise would have tried to do it ;-)
    Cancel
  • avii

MemberNov 23, 2013

Today's free stuff (check twitter handle for yest's. some of them are still free) :

Little Star on the App Store on iTunes #-Link-Snipped-#

DRAWNIMAL on the App Store on iTunes #-Link-Snipped-#

A+ Signature - The photo annotator on the App Store on iTunes #-Link-Snipped-#

CarTunes Music Player on the App Store on iTunes #-Link-Snipped-#

Bake Shop Drop on the App Store on iTunes #-Link-Snipped-#

The Last Door - Chapter 1: The Letter on the App Store on iTunes #-Link-Snipped-#

ins and outs - a casual and competitive puzzle game on the App Store on iTunes #-Link-Snipped-#

Dr. Panda's Daycare on the App Store on iTunes #-Link-Snipped-#
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register