Over-educating Ourselves: Do we have too many PhDs?

There is some view gaining ground that there may be a possibility of over educating oneself in technical fields. Even as far back as the late 1960s journals were writing about this. Sweden apparently has the highest number of PhDs. The journal "New Scientist" said that the topics for these PhDs got trivialized to the extent that there was one PhD awarded on the design of toilet bowls. The poor student later had to live with being called 'Dr.Loo'!

#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I personally believe any education beyond basic schooling is total waste unless the learner is actually interested in exploring subjects.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I agree, I have seen a few people who acme to our college. They have no degree let alone PhD.

The guys are barely 4th standard pass out. He had no formal schooling. But he is so talented, that he has got a number of patents on his name.
    Knowledge does not mean having degrees. Edison and Einstein prove it. Even Leonardo is not an exception.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    As mentioned in the article, 'the heretical question of whether education is worth the exorbitant price' has an answer, specifically for India, as no.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    This seems to be a hot live topic worldwide.
    Engineering PhDs — worthwhile pursuit, or expensive indulgence?

Read more: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    My ideas aren't very clear about this topic - but I believe specialization isn't the right way to development. The society becomes too dependent. For example, to pay my taxes, I'm too dependent on my Chartered Accountant who always makes me nervous with his financial abbreviations.

On a related thought, the specialized knowledge gained should be put to use. I somehow see a trend among many young engineers to opt for MBA after 'wasting' 4 years in Engineering. The education system is flawed and aimed at producing clerks for the multinational companies. Unfortunately, we never realize this.

PS: Am I deviating from the topic?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    You are not. The broad topic still is that engineers should do engineering.
    Currently on a visit to the US, am seeing the white collared IT slaves (boys and girls) from India that is Bharat slogging away as clerks for MNCs. There has to be a liberal arts dgree for the wannabe MBAs or a five year integrated course so that engineers can do hands on engineering.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

For those interested: Bangalore AWS 101 Cloud Computing Seminar - May 25
Quote: Embedded devices are beginning to look a lot like desktop computers, as customers demand graphical interfaces, high-speed communications, multimedia, and full integration with Internet-delivered data and services. With these...
Siliconindia Global Embedded Conference India is the largest event for the Embedded Software & System community. It is going to be held on May 21, 2011 at Bangalore. The event...
recently the company "Greenergy International" has developed a method to extract oil from the food waste and use it as a fuel. the company claims that it is successful in...
A National Conference, RACE-2011, Recent Advances in Civil Engineering, is organized by Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India, from 14-16 October, 2011. The conference aims at providing a...