OutRunner Is The World's First Legged Remote Controlled Running Robot

A new project up on Kickstarter called the "OutRunner" has made the world's first legged running robot come to life. The OutRunner bot is remote-controlled and can run at 20 mph speed on various kinds of terrains such as dirt, grass or asphalt. The robot is self-balancing and is really simple to operate. The developers have made sure that the users don't find it difficult to use it. So, if you press the accelerator on the RC remote and steer it, it will start moving. OutRunner comes in two versions: Core and Performance. OutRunner Core is the simpler on whereas the OutRunner Performance is a powerful option packed with state-of-the-art sensors. Developed by engineers at - Robotics Unlimited, a spinoff of the Institute for Human and Machine Cognition (IHMC), the OutRunner bot has been successful in gaining the attention of the majority of the robotics community.

Screen Shot 2014-05-13 at 2.38.26 PM

The bot is designed to be easily upgradable and runs on a battery that lasts for up to 2 hours. The robot features an universal mount HD camera with 720 pixel resolution that captures video at 30 fps. It has an embedded processor and comes with WiFi, 3 Axis Accelerometer and Gyroscope. While OutRunner core has 6 legs, the OutRunner Performance has 6 to 12 legs and can be additionally controlled via a smartphone. One of the best things about the Performance version is that they offer hardware and software upgrades to push further the performance of this robot. The robot is slightly taller than 2 feet and weighs about 5 pounds.

How do you like the concept and execution of the OutRunner robot? Share with us in comments below.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    I am not a machine expert, so may not be able to comment much on the design of it. On the first look the robot looks impressive.

Sorry to be critical of the innovation, but I couldn't think of any real usage of this robot, neither the article is mentioning about the same. Can any mechanical engineer help me understanding that?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If you are active on Twitter, sometime or the other you would have wished to remove all the irritating and endless tweets from your timeline without having to un-follow someone....
Did you know that you can quickly turn your headphone into a microphone? And there's no rocket science or audio engineering involved. All you need to do is plug-in your...
Github's text editor 'Atom' is now open for public, free & fully hackable (opensource). For MAC users downloads are available in official website https://atom.io/ , for other OS users, you...
I have updated my job but it does not show. How can i show my new job status on facebook to all friends. Please refer attached snapshot. Thanks in advance.