OSX compatibility issues

I always wonder how to solve the compatibility issues with Mac. You know, some programs or applications are not compatible for Mac. I haven't faced this problem, but most of my friends who are Mac users do complain about Windows-only-programs.

I already installed Windows XP with BOOTCAMP. I haven't really use it, though.
Now, I want to triple boot my mac with Ubuntu 12.04. My mac will definitely be slower. So here is another question: Will Ubuntu solve the Windows-only-programs problem? If it does, I will erase my Windows and my mac can possibly be faster with OSX and Ubuntu only. If it doesn't, may be I will not install Ubuntu because the reason why I want Ubuntu in my mac now is to play with it.

Any suggestions? My engineer cousin said that mac is a very good computer, not excellent because he end up using mac only for the everyday stuff and still have to use windows for work. Is it true?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    You don't need anything else when you have - WineBottler |Β Run Windows-based Programs on a Mac
  • zm-i
    zm-i
    The winebottler is in the beta version. Beta=bugs?πŸ˜•
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Yes, beta is with small bugs which they fix regularly & releases later as stable version.
    Btw if you want to run windows applications & games in Ubuntu, there is WineHQ - Run Windows applications on Linux, BSD, Solaris and macOS .
    It has many stable versions (1.4.1 is latest stable)
    In WineHQ - Wine Application Database you can view list of tested games & softwares in Wine.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Not always. I'd not hesitate installing a beta version.
  • zm-i
    zm-i
    It seems that actually I only need one OS. Thank you #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# for the links.

Can you tell me what is so special about each operating system? OSX, Windows and Ubuntu (Ubuntu is the best OS from Linux right?)
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    'The Best' obviously depends on the user and the intended use. I've been using OSX for past 1 year for all things related to the Internet and it works superb. I like a ton of features and simplicity in OSX. I used to be a great fan of the Windows OS too and have used uBuntu for a fairly long time.

Of the three, only uBuntu is free of cost and it solves the needs of a regular user. Windows, on the other hand is most popular and has a wide choice of software (both paid and freeware). I figured out that I'm only interested in 'business' use of the computers and for that, the Mac OSX provides me everything that I need and it does it more beautifully (not chipping in Win 8 here). I like the quality of Mac Hardware and that's why I stick to it.

The only thing that most people miss is the choice of games. OSX app store has a lot of great games; but Windows beats it hands down when it comes to the overall number of games. I'm not a PC/Computer gamer so it does not apply to me.

For all things Internet - OSX gets my vote. uBuntu needs to work on the GUI a bit more; but that's just my opinion.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    For me, Best OS is #-Link-Snipped-# .
    I have used all Linux Distros but among all of it .. i like Fedora & linux mint.
    Ubuntu's interface is attractive ; But again Fedora comes with Gnome 3.4 !!😍
    I dont know what else to say, but Fedora can run Linux apps, Windows apps & Windows games successfully.
    I dont see any competition for Linux.
    Also, there are no virus problems. You can even customize the GUI of Linux distro like you want.
    For example, Fedora 17 with Gnome environment has Gnome shell extension to customize your GUI.
    If you dont like Gnome environment, you can even download others like LXDE, XFCE ,KDE.
    And guess what, Its Free !! 😁
  • zm-i
    zm-i
    Thank you for your responses #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-#. To be honest, I am not familiar with technical stuff and technology, but I am really interested in engineering..any kind of engineering. This is my first time so please bear with me.πŸ˜›

#-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-#: If using some sort of applications can actually fix the compatibility problems, why do some complain about this and decide to use more than one operating system?

Can somebody explain why this happens #-Link-Snipped-#? 😁

That clip is just a joke (I guess😐 ). I don't know if it's true, but Ubuntu is the first Linux that was introduced to me. (I was in high school at that time and what I really know about it is that LINUX is open source=free+very costumizable)
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Back then when Linux distro ubuntu & Fedora (There are more than 12 Distros but I am mentioning these 2 as they are most attractive among all) were released, Both OS were very attractive than Windows & OSX at that time(& are still now), but something very important was missing & that was Video Drivers & Audio Drivers!
    Detection & Installation of Video & Audio Drivers was pain in bum .... Some people were successful in Installing drivers while some fails. People who weren't able to install Drivers used to think Linux as crap & switch back to windows.

Linux did very fast progress in all aspect; lately from last 3 years; the Linux distros can easily install video drivers & audio drivers. Infact, we don't even have to install drivers of videos & sound like we do in windows, it automatically installs it, Nice isnt it ?. But again, One more hurdle was ahead for linux, and that was Nvidia & ATI Drivers. While, inbuilt drivers were easily installed without any trouble ;there was still no hope for Nvidia & ATI Drivers.

Even though Bridge for compatibility of Windows applications & Games on Linux was accomplished by WineHQ, People (most probably gamers) weren't using linux as their Graphics card weren't supported.
    So, again like a boss; Linux successfully updated Kernel & with each updation of kernel they bring some massive changes.
    From Last 1.5-2 years Linux Distros are easily able to install & update Nvidia/ATI Video drivers. Hence Many gamers are attracted to Linux.

When it comes to compatibility, I am only using Fedora17 (yeah, I have dual-booted because my mom-dad are not used to Linux & they want Windows XP for them). But, if I had my personal laptop it would consist only a single Linux distro - Fedora ! There's one more problem some people suffers from is, they find software installation in Linux(in my case fedora) hard. I think it has simplest & easiest way for software installation.
    Open terminal & write "yum install X" -- & the software named "X" if available will get downloaded & if there is updation in software it will update it automatically.

So why I am using Linux & not Windows or OSX ? Fedora17 is free distro, partially maintained by RedHat & partially by its community. You can customize as per your need. Virus-free. Has very nice & useful Science & Engineering softwares, that again free. Fedora comes with GNOME – Simple, beautiful, elegant., ofcourse this is reason why i prefer Fedora over Ubuntu (#-Link-Snipped-#).
    Since, Valve has announced "steamforlinux.com" officially ;While WineHQ - Run Windows applications on Linux, BSD, Solaris and macOS & Home - PlayOnLinux - Run your Windows applications on Linux easily! already supporting in playing Windows games & running Windows applications, what more we need now ?

By the way I hate Bigbang now πŸ˜”
    Just kidding πŸ˜‰
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Open terminal & write "yum install X" -- & the software named "X" if available will get downloaded & if there is updation in software it will update it automatically.
    That's one of the things that keep regular people away from Linux distros. No one wants to type commands to install software these days.

I've used a variety of Linux Distros and I agree that Fedora is one of the coolest. By the way, if anyone wants to get their hands on the Linux OS; pop-in a 'Live CD' and try uBuntu on your machine without installing anything. I really love that feature of the OS. Not sure if Windows allows that.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    The_Big_K
    if anyone wants to get their hands on the Linux OS; pop-in a 'Live CD' and try uBuntu on your machine without installing anything. I really love that feature of the OS. Not sure if Windows allows that.
    Yes, that's cool feature for anyone who don't wanna mess with their current OS & still want to use Linux.
  • zm-i
    zm-i
    Do you really need terminal to install a software? The ubuntu website says that they have an "AppStore".
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    zm-i
    Do you really need terminal to install a software? The ubuntu website says that they have an "AppStore".
    Dude, Terminal is like "Command prompt" of windows. If you want to download a whole package, example : Science & Engineering package; Terminal downloads is convenient than Store downloads. Ubuntu comes with Ubuntu store where you can download applications. But some users prefer terminal downloads than downloading from store.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello......i am new to this community........i have been appointed to do a project or you can say a design of a new product that is not yet available in the...
how to use java mail api to send emails using a proxy server and what is required to configure in proxy server.
Can there be multiple jvm in a single machine?? if yes then how would an application behave under more than one jvm??
Any other events you think should be included? Sound out in the comments!
The kindle is strong and light, as well as portable. Not to mention the kindle can keep hundreds of books in a small device. The books we can buy are...