OS jumping to another OS image

I had an interesting request for an embedded system awhile back. The board was to boot fully into vxWorks, then load a couple different other vxWorks images into memory and one could then jump to any of the other images residing in memory.

Think of the complications. The initial vxWorks OS initialized everything and is executing, a stack is being used, interrupts occurring for network events, serial console, etc...

I found this as an interesting problem to solve. I got it working and it functioned in many test scenarios. I was expecting some ill-timed interrupt when the jump to a different OS image to occur and cause unexpected behaviors.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What was the first computer that you ever had or used? I had a TI 99-4A
My new uDrone concept. Virtually undetectable and can deploy in mass quantities.
I know this probably is not the norm, but my last two times interviewing were like this: (1) I received a call just before lunch, they asked me if I...
a factory has a total load of 2000kw at a pf of 0.8 lagging,it is desired to improve pf 0.96 lag with the installation of synchronous condenser,what will be total...
Howdy folks! We bring to you - The CrazyEngineers.io App Ideas Contest. Deadline: 10th August, 2016 [Wednesday] - 12:00 PM IST ​ First things first: Q: What is CrazyEngineers.io? A:...