Order Food In Indian Railway Trains With 'TravelKhana'

I like the concept - those who've traveled in Indian trains know that relying on the food offered by the railways isn't very reliable. Of course the service has improved a *lot* in the recent times; but the choice of food you can offer is bit limited. A startup, called 'TravelKhana' wants to solve that problem for you.

All you have to do is visit the website and enter your PNR number (or departure and arrival destinations) and the service will show you the stations where the train will stop for more than 5 minutes. You will then be shown a list of the restaurants offering food items at those stations. You can pre-order your food items and get the delivery at your seat as soon as the train arrives at the station.

There are however constraints on the minimum value of the order you need to place. I think it's minimum Rs. 100 on a few routes and Rs. 500 on others (not sure though). If you're traveling and wish to order food, give these folks a try. They claim to have spent a lot of time inspecting the hotels they work with and have inspected their kitchens and packaging quality.

Do you think TravelKhana has a lot of potential to grow? Or do you think it's better to offer food from the pantry car attached to the train?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I thought travelkhana folks are the first ones to offer such service (after the regular pantry services, of course); but there are other players as well. There's another player in the game from Nashik with a website called "Mera Food Choice".
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Concept seems to be interesting; I would certainly going to try it once.
    One interesting question, Website says - They will deliver between 9:00 - 22:30. What if train will be late and reach a particular station at 3:00 AM?

Will they deliver the food, or they will return the money, Did anyone faced any such condition?

-CB
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Let's try to have the founders of the website to answer the questions. That could be a real concern, for sure.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    The_Big_K
    Let's try to have the founders of the website to answer the questions. That could be a real concern, for sure.
    Do we have any one from travel khana on this forum or you are hinting me to post the question on their website?

-Cb
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Mera Food Choice shows with delay time if your train is delay.I think if train is coming on odd timing then order should be cancelled with full refund.

I will surely try MeraFoodChoice or TravelKhana next time. 😀
  • sidart
    sidart
    crazyboy
    One interesting question, Website says - They will deliver between 9:00 - 22:30. What if train will be late and reach a particular station at 3:00 AM?

Will they deliver the food, or they will return the money, Did anyone faced any such condition?

-CB
    I represent Travelkhana, we have a COD model as of now, and hence there is no problem of returning money.
  • sidart
    sidart
    ianoop
    Mera Food Choice shows with delay time if your train is delay.I think if train is coming on odd timing then order should be cancelled with full refund.

I will surely try MeraFoodChoice or TravelKhana next time. 😀
    Well we at Travelkhana track the train on real time.
  • Piyush Kasliwal
    Piyush Kasliwal
    crazyboy

-CB
    I am Piyush From MeraFoodChoice Team.
    If the train is delayed, we would try to arrange food at previous station, if it is more than 2 hours late. We inform well in advance to customers about the train delays and if the customer is fine we continue the order at the same place or shift it.

Most of the orders are Cash on delivery yet if you have paid before we surely return back your money the same day or the next.

We have come across the same issue. Train to Nagpur was late from Howrah and was schedules to reach at Nagpur at 8:00 PM and it got delayed by 3 Hours, we shifted their order to Gondia Junction. We try our best to serve you at the time that is most comfortable to you.

Thanks and Regards,
    Piyush Suresh Kasliwal
    #-Link-Snipped-# | 0-8484-8484-26

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

can anbody tell me the top 10 centre under C-dac for DAC course... or which are best among 1.Sunbeam pune 2.IACSD pune 3.Vimarshana, Marathahalli Bangaluru 4.MET-IIT bandra mumbai
I think Google's algorithm rely on the links to discover new web pages. That made me wonder if I create a domain with no incoming links to it; will Google...
sir/mam can u please explain me about fuzzy logic????
We've the latest news and I hope it's a rumor. Infosys might be laying off about 5000 employees in the coming days, the TOI is reporting. I'm not sure if...
hi im new here so hello fellas! i'm using an old school 21 inch CRt monitor as those used in graphics industry around 6 years ago. i was curious about...