Odesk merges with Elance - What does it mean for freelancers?

Gary Swart, CEO of oDesk has sent out an email to all the members of Odesk that the service has decided to merge with Elance - one of the leaders where independent programmers can offer their services to those who are looking for it. Both these services will continue to operate separately and it's expected that the overall offerings of both the services will be enhanced. Closure of the merger may take about 4 months from now.

One of the most important aspect of the merger is that the engineering and design talent behind these two services will be one; but these services won't compete with each other for jobs and freelancers.

What does this mean for the freelancers who've been making a living on either or both of these services? Well, no change at all! It's only expected that the best of the features of both the websites will be available to everyone participating. It's just the 'behind the scene' change.

Have you been using and making money on Odesk or Elance? Share your thoughts below.

Replies

• Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    It will be great if I can somehow import my past client's feedback and ratings on odesk from elance, as I have strong reputation on elance as compared to odesk

Hence if they could bring this change, then it will help me a lot to get new projects from Odesk
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# - the services will continue to exist separately; so I doubt they'll really allow importing of clients. You might refer people to your elance profile for all the jobs you're bidding for on oDesk. Does that work? I think you'll have to post the same profile photo, company information, logo etc.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    yes, but when you bid on some project, you have to take care of other's bids too, but if you have great profile, then client himself comes to you and then you can charge him any price, overall you have an extra edge.

Giving links of past work and other profile URL really doesn't effect your chances of bid acceptation, because today there is really a great competition in software freelancing, clients really don't spend much time in opening links. The ultimate factor that contributes the most is stars on your profile.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Happy Auto is a new Android application launched by Bangalore City Police in India under the 'Sugama Savari' campaign to keep a check on Auto Rickshaw drivers so that they...
Sweden has fined 4.3 million krona (~$650,000) a torrent uploader, about 28-years old, for uploading one copyrighted film to a torrent website. Sweden has been the former home of Pirate...
LG Electronics have announced that they will be unveiling the world’s first Cinemascope (21:9 aspect ratio) curved Ultra HD TV that has an astounding resolution of 5120 x 2160 pixels...
Flying bots, robots and drones have been a subject of interest to robotics enthusiasts and engineers all over the world. Most flying vehicles available today do not make use of...
An animal to human language translation tool idea has been floating since long, and pushing that idea a step forward is 'No More Woof', a techno-helmet that translates your dog's...