No more Newtons or Einsteins for that matter

Expert psychologist Prof. Dean Keith Simonton fears that geniuses are an extinct species.
Quote:

Dean Keith Simonton, a psychology professor at the University of California, has published a comment piece in the journal Nature, where he argues that it's unlikely mankind will ever produce another Einstein, Newton, Darwin, etc. This is because, he says, we've already discovered all the most basic ideas that describe how the natural world works. Any new work, will involve little more than adding to our knowledge base.
Endquote

More here:
#-Link-Snipped-#

Comments from readers of Nature are here:
#-Link-Snipped-#
(The article is not for free)

What do CEans feel?
Dean Keith Simonton, a psychology professor at the University of California, has published a comment piece in the journal Nature, where he argues that it's unlikely mankind will ever produce another Einstein, Newton, Darwin, etc. This is because, he says, we've already discovered all the most basic ideas that describe how the natural world works. Any new work, will involve little more than adding to our knowledge base.

Read more at: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• ABCD ABCD
    ABCD ABCD
    I think, Prof. Dean Keith Simonton would have said the same thing if he was contemporary to Newton. Nobody thought there is something to discover even during that time. No Offense.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    mreccentric
    I think, Prof. Dean Keith Simonton would have said the same thing if he was contemporary to Newton. Nobody thought there is something to discover even during that time. No Offense.
    Possible. However, it is also true that the days of individual scientists ploughing a lonly furrow seems to be a thing of the past. Now it is all mass funded mega projects with huge teams. Even the elusive Higgs Boson has been found.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think people will continue to have Einsteins and Newtons; but they may never rise to the fames these scientists enjoyed. The world must not 'forget' the fact that the concept of atoms and molecules, blackholes were discovered centuries before the 'modern world' discovered them.

So it may not be in this decade; but the world will continue to produce great scientists, innovators who will continue to change the way we look at things around us.

Plus, I sometimes think that there is no such thing as 'prediction'. We can only make guesses about future which sometime turn out to be true; but the failure rate in predicting future is larger ( I believe ).
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    It is true that a lot has been explained by the science, but still it is a little part of complete knowledge. As human imaginations are endless, so is the world we live in.
    So as we explore more and more into the far ends of universe, we will make new discoveries. It is true that on earth we have solved the mysteries, but the world is endless. So I think someday a new Newton or Einstein will come and give us a leap over the science known today (I may sound extreme optimist, but that is what I believe)πŸ˜€.
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    "Everything that can be invented has been invented."
    ~Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. patent office, 1899
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Gurjap
    "Everything that can be invented has been invented."
    ~Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. patent office, 1899
    Internet was invented many decades later...πŸ˜›πŸ˜‰
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    My personal theory is that the humans advanced to the limits of science and technology several thousand years ago and then realised that it's not good for the sustainability of products. They then reverted to simpler lifestyle, communication and lifestyle - which made everything keep going for ages. Then came the 19th and 20th century that messed up everything totally. 😐
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    a relevant vedio

Note: not that everyone has to agree to it

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Quote: The chipmaker's gaming device, Nvidia Shield, comes with a quad-core Tegra 4 processor, offers between five and 10 hours of gameplay, and is smaller than a Wii U controller....
Here is an interesting article on the reason for only negative tolerance on drawn bars: https://pmpaspeakingofprecision.com/2013/01/29/why-tolerance-is-minus-on-bars-for-machining/
It lasts about half an hour. Worth every second of watching. Without any more ado here we go to the International Space Station: https://www.wimp.com/orbitaltour/
chaitu203 asked in conversation: hi everyone..​i wanna do my major project on solar panels...so anyone kindly tell me the projects based on solar panels.. ​​It may show better participation here.​
now earth has a magnetic field. it has north pole and soth pole. this creates a dipole. it is said that earth's dipole works as a bar magnet thus there...