New Sensors To Increase Effectiveness At Fossil Fuel Plants!

US researchers are formulating a range of novel high-temperature sensors that they say will help fossil-fuel plants to increase their effectiveness and possibly reduce emissions.  Prof Mauricio Pereira da Cunha of Maine University will conduct the project to develop thin-film electrodes, piezoelectric smart microwave acoustic sensor devices and sensor condition materials that will be directed to function for long periods of time at up to 1,200ºC.

#-Link-Snipped-#
Image Source: sksassociateseng.com

The US Department of Energy has granted the project $1.2m (£732,000) as a part of the sensors and controls area of the National Energy Technology Laboratory’s Advanced Research (AR) programme. Research and development projects in the AR programme are aimed towards the effectuation and operation of the next generation of fossil energy power systems and developments in present systems. According to a statement, the utmost aim is for highly effective, near-zero-emission power systems that utilize domestic resources.

The Maine technology is established on tiny wireless battery-free microwave acoustic sensors that can assess temperature and pressure in rough environments. A majority of sensors will be tested at strategic locations in power plants and will be employed to get the most out of the coal usage process and give information concerning the maintenance and status of the combustors and steam-generator components.

The work also admits developing a radio-frequency wireless interrogation electronics unit that will be placed outside the high-temperature environment. This project originates from more than ten years of research and development on thin-film materials and sensor devices that can resist high-temperature operation in rough environments. The technology has also been supported by sponsorship from the US Air Force, which is concerned in placing the sensors into jet turbine engines.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Dell's YouTube channel today launched a video that shows Dell S2330MX - an ultra-thin, 23" LED monitor that Dell says is "Our thinnest monitor ever". The Dell S2330MX measures 23"...
Month of September is expected to have a bumper yield in automobile sector given that Ford is launching a hoard of new cars in market. The most important in the...
A $1.5 billion dollar park cum entertainment resort based on the theme of 'Star Trek', the popular American science fiction series, named as 'The Red Sea Astrarium' (TRSA), is being...
As a kid, I hated carrying a whole lot of books to school, stuffed in a bag, troubling my shoulder and paining my back in the process. Even now I...
We know you and your wealthy friends are bored of wandering the Earth and eagerly waiting for that hotel in space. Well, wait no more! Russian Orbital Technologies is bringing...