New Horizons is healthy and ready for Kuiper Belt - NASA

New Horizons, the NASA spacecraft had to switch to 'safe mode' because of a command-loading error it faced earlier this week. The spacecraft is programmed to transition into the safe mode automatically under certain conditions so that it continues to operate as expected. In the safe mode, the spacecraft suspends its regular scheduled activities and points the antenna towards the Earth to listen to the masters at NASA's Mission Operations Center at Johns Hopkins University's Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) in Maryland.

NASA informed that after staying in 'safe mode' for about 24 hours, the spacecraft is almost back into its regular operational mode. The systems are working smoothly. Alice Bowman, the mission operations manager at APL informed that the rapid recovery of New Horizons was supported by the DNS aka the Deep Space Network - an international array of giant radio antennas set up by NASA.

New-Horizons-NASA-Health
Image Credit: NASA​

New Horizons is perfectly healthy and is ready for its next target - Kuiper Belt object 2014 MU69. NASA's engineers are working on resuming scientific data collection and expect that the craft will commence its full operations by February 12th. Working with a spacecraft that is speeding at 58,536 kmph ( about 16 kilometers per second ) has its own challenges. It takes about 10.5 hours for radio signals to make a return trip from Earth to spacecraft.

The next target for New Horizons, a Kuiper Belt Object (KBO) is about 6.4 billion kilometers away from Earth. If everything goes right, New Horizons will make its next flyby on Jan 1, 2019. Read about it on: #-Link-Snipped-#

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Meizu, a Chinese consumer market firm, decided to enter budget segment with model M5 after not having much success with their last offering, Meizu M5 plus, which was priced at...
After a period of five-month dormancy, Space Exploration Technologies Corp is all set to increase the launch rate of its Falcon 9 rockets. Last year on September 1st an explosion...
Hello Respected members, Myself Pratik. I am based in Gujarat, India. I have just completed my post graduation in structural engineering and am a fresher currently. I would shortly start...
I want the name for one consultancy fair. We students we be given knowledge about how to crack competitive exam, how to build up your resume, How to clear personal...
Awesome news, folks! The season 4 of super awesome 'Silicon Valley' is releasing on April 23. The Silicon Valley cast posted following video confirming the launch date of the next...