New Feature: Awesome Notifications!

So, you've already been notified about our latest, awesome notifications feature on CE. The notification feature goes beyond regular notices and alerts by offering personalized notifications to our members.

The notification will appear in the bottom right corner (it's less intrusive that way) to keep you updated about tips, tricks, important announcements, feature releases and so on.

If you liked what you saw, tell us your feedback in reply to this thread πŸ˜€

Replies

• Smriti Jha
    Smriti Jha
    Slick!
  • gohm
    gohm
    Very cool!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Forgot to add - we can change the default black & white to something more visually appealing. I'll crowdsource that decision. So start throwing your html color codes at me. πŸ˜‰
  • gohm
    gohm
    Although some might not like it as it could stand out a bit, how about the red & white colors of CE for uniformity?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    gohm
    Although some might not like it as it could stand out a bit, how about the red & white colors of CE for uniformity?
    Red and white is good; but plain colors don't go well. Gradients will need use of image which I want to avoid. Yes, we can try out couple of shades. How about the shades of orange?
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Nice to have feature, Something like outlook email notifications πŸ˜€
    Orange would be nice !

-CB
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Is there something wrong with the frequency or I am missing something?
    I clicked on X icon, clicked on Dismiss notification, but every time I am going to this post or clicking on Community I am seeing this notification. This is not we intend to do, right?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    You haven't dismissed the notification: In order to dismiss the notification, click on the 'Dismiss Notification' link and it will take you to page where you can completely dismiss it. Try it once and let me know if it fails πŸ˜€
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    That would be annoying, isn't it?
    And browsing to couple of extra pages would cause extra load to severs?

In place of this, is it possible to implement something where the notification would be shown once, and after that it will be indicative only in the top left (the usual location).

-CB
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    The_Big_K
    You haven't dismissed the notification: In order to dismiss the notification, click on the 'Dismiss Notification' link and it will take you to page where you can completely dismiss it. Try it once and let me know if it fails πŸ˜€
    Meanwhile, missed to say dismiss notification take me to different page and clicking on Dismiss notification is working fine.

-CB
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Not bad at all
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, not sure if it's annoying; because user is in complete control of whether to see the notifications or not. Once dismissed, we won't show the notification to user. New notifications will however be pushed to the users.

The notifications are completely different from the alerts system we have. Notifications system will only be used when we've something urgent that CEans should notice. For example if we're performing a site maintenance, we'd use notifications to alert all the users about the possible downtime.

We're currently using the notifications to inform new members how to post on CrazyEngineers.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    The_Big_K
    The notifications are completely different from the alerts system we have. Notifications system will only be used when we've something urgent that CEans should notice. For example if we're performing a site maintenance, we'd use notifications to alert all the users about the possible downtime.
    We're currently using the notifications to inform new members how to post on CrazyEngineers.
    I got it now,
    I thought that the intent was to show a indication similar to alerts.
    But if the intent is what you have explained just now, the implementation seems perfect.

-CB
  • bharathi shekar
    bharathi shekar
    cool
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The notifications are designed and placed such that they can't be missed and they go beyond the regular alerts. You won't see these notifications quite as often as you see alerts. πŸ˜€
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The 'How to post on CE?' thread will now be super-useful to newbies. πŸ‘ Earlier they found it difficult to spot that thread. Totally awesome feature! 😁It disappears so swiftly.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    When i saw it i was like wat the!
    Then i saw is was from CE and then i was like oooooooooooooh cooooooooooooool.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    As an old fogey I would suggest, leave well alone. Good as it is.
  • eternalthinker
    eternalthinker
    We can introduce gradients without using images. CSS3 ! Gradients, shadows, rounded corners πŸ˜€
  • KenJackson
    KenJackson
    There are lots of news websites that pop-up something when you scroll near the bottom of the page. They want to keep you captive, so they grab your attention to show you something else you might like to read.

I HATE that. I also hate rotating headlines and abstracts that change just as I get halfway through them. And I especially hate flashing ads. I want a flat page that lets ME choose what I see and read.

I'm not quite sure I saw the notification, but something popped up in the lower right corner and was gone before I could read it (I don't think I noticed it right away). I probably won't like it when I figure out what it is.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Why don't we have something like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : I know, the notifications can be intrusive and annoying. That's why they're not going to be a regular feature here. As I said, we'll enable them only when something important is announced. The current notification only lasts for about 6 seconds. We can make them stay longer or shorter.

#-Link-Snipped-# : We can show them in any corner; but the bottom - right seems to be the most appropriate location. That way, it doesn't overlap with most of the controls.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    #-Link-Snipped-# I just suggested designs... The placement is exact... πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We can definitely work on the designs. The one without avatar looks better in my opinion. But as I said, we won't use these notifications on regular basis. They are currently being employed to guide the new members who need help with posting on the site.
  • Saijayadeep
    Saijayadeep
    not feeling new(or)annoyed as many other sites are also following this model...so it doesn't make any difference for me...πŸ˜‰
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Good feature.
    This is very helpful feature specially for new members who are posting their query in Introduction section. We can send them notification when they are going to post new thread we can ask them to check proper section.

Once the user crosses some post count we can discard such notification for those users.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Cool & Really helpful to newbies πŸ‘
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We've taken away the notifications as of now. They'll be back whenever we're announcing something new. πŸ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hey ur ideas r actually awsm..but the thing z i hv decided a topic wich is centralized administrative system and the problem z dat sm has already implemented it so...
plz suggest me some IT companies in kolkata where i can go for summer internship programs....moreover which is beneficial internship or industrial training...
Most of us here know how an engine works, and we are also familiar with the functions of the engine components such as the crankshaft, connecting rod and piston etc....
can anyone suggest a text book for this subject, by a foreign author ?
How to define multiple characters using macros?? I want to declare all the hexadecimal digits under a name "hexa". Does anyone know it how to do that?? The below code...