CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@Kaustubh Katdare • 27 Mar, 2014 • 1 like
I'm curious to know how the "Network Key Rotation Interval" feature works in ASUS (and other) routers. I read on a few forums that setting the key to default 3600 seconds will add maximum security; but it will disconnect the network access at regular intervals. That's exactly what's happening on our network at CrazyEngineers and it's little annoying. I found some interesting information about this setting:-

1. It works only for AES encryption or TKIP+AES combo.
Question: Do CEans recommend some other encryption for secure wireless connections?

2. The key is automatically generated from the SSID and the password set for the network. Refreshing of this key does not mean that a new password will have to be entered every hour. However, it results into Internet connection being unavailable for some time at regular intervals.

3. The option can be set to 3600 or 0. If the network is continuously being used for streaming content (and boy, we do play a lot of Gaana.com radio here at CE Headquarters); the recommended setting is 0.

4. I understand that setting the key to a shorter value will strain the hardware. I'm considering setting it to about 2 hours (7200) or more.

I'd really appreciate if our CEans can throw some light on this setting and let us know what setting you've been using on your routers. I'm also looking at recommendations on what's the most optimal value of this setting? Will setting it to 0 heat up the router (if at all!)?
@BFinch • 19 Apr, 2014 • 1 like Did you ever determine or get a reply to this situation? I just got a ASUS EA-N66R extender for my ASUS RT-AC68U router and on the router it is set 3600, the Extender it is 0.
Although it recommends NOT to; I have intentionally used the same SSID for the 2.4 range as I want devices to roam across and connect seamlessly between the EA-N66R in AP mode (hard connected to our LAN) and my router which in on a upper deck. I am thinking this setting should be identical as all other settings I have mirrored (aside from keeping channels in AUTO mode, which I think I may need to lock them into the same channels, but one thing at a time).
@Kaustubh Katdare • 19 Apr, 2014 @BFinch - Not really. It's just a few days since I began using the router with the Network Key Interval set to 0 and the problems I was facing have been fixed. I use Netgear WN3000RP with my ASUS router without any issues. SSID settings are identical for 2.4 and 5 GHz. So far things have been smooth.

Could you describe the problem you are facing?
@BFinch • 19 Apr, 2014 • 2 likes No problem "per say" just curious to it's true functional purpose. Just added the Extender/AP and it was one setting I was unsure of and thought odd it was "0" & the router was 3600. Further reading suggested the exact opposite and set both for 86400 (1 day) to sync with DHCP lease, so I'll try that. If that causes issues, I'll go to the "0" setting. Perhaps to ensure while in AP mode the "0" setting ensures it gets the key from the parent AP (Router), but that is pure speculation, such little documentation for this. It's more of roaming and smooth transfer of connections as far as the reading suggests.
@Kaustubh Katdare • 04 Dec, 2015 Looking forward to more responses on this setting in the router. The network key rotation interval seems has been left untouched on my ASUS wireless router.
@Abhishek Rawal • 07 Feb, 2020 • 1 like

I am curious too. If my memory serves right, key rotation is only applicable to WPA-Enterprise and broadcast keys are rotated at the configured interval.

Are you using WPA-Enterprise with EAP protocol at CE HQ ?

@Ashraf HZ • 07 Feb, 2020 • 1 like

Looks like this "network key rotation interval" feature is Asus' term for the WPA group key interval change, to protect the network against intrusion. By right it should be seamless and not cause any disconnects, so either Asus has a buggy implementation of this or something else is causing the disconnects. 3600s is the default for most routers.

@Kaustubh Katdare • 07 Feb, 2020

I've a TP Link Router now, and ASUS is a standby one. I don't see the Network Key Rotation Interval option in my TP Link Router (not sure if I'm looking at the right place). So no way for me to verify. Is this setting specific to ASUS routers? If yes, what's the equivalent setting in other routers?

@Ashraf HZ • 29 Feb, 2020

What TP Link model router to do have? There should be something called "Group Key Update Period" under the Wireless Security section.

49.3k views

Related Posts

@Kaustubh Katdare · Aug 27, 2012

I see growing interest in knowing Flipkart Recruitment Procedure. A lot of techies want to work for Flipkart because the company, though a startup (is it a startup anymore?), has...
8.4k views

@Ankita Katdare · Sep 5, 2013

India Kawasaki Motors (IKM), the subsidiary of the Japanese company, is here to create much fanfare with the launch of two brand new bikes in India. With the set up...
10k views

@Ankita Katdare · Sep 12, 2013

This year has been great for Celkon. With frequent launches of its new smartphones, the Indian mobile manufacturere has been a part of the news headlines for multiple times over...
4.4k views

@Kaustubh Katdare · Nov 20, 2012

It turns out that engineering students have been searching for a project report format & sample. I found my old project report my team had created and decided to make...
11.4k views

@abhilashathkr · Sep 9, 2012

I'm looking for minor projects in electrical engineering for my third year project submissions. I'd appreciate any suggestions and inputs.
5.2k views