Need some career guidance

Hi Friends,

I have good knowledge of C and C++, although I am not in touch with the languages for almost an year now...I only have a second division in my degree and my IT experience is that of 1 year in mainframes.... 😔

The highlight of my career is that i have good grades in CDAC...

My problem is - The field I really REALLY want to work in one of AI, Gaming, or device drivers or system programming.....

I am ready to work really hard..I Just don't know - IN WHICH DIRECTION...Please give me the direction in which I need to concentrate so that I can work in the field I really want to work in........

Thanks

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    JumbledJet,

You've come to the right place. I hope all our CEans will be able to help you. Here are my thoughts -

As you mentioned, you've not been in touch with the languages for quite some time now. I recommend that you should spend some time honing your skills in C/C++. Since you have one year of experience in the industry, you need not worry about your engineering grades anymore.

Your grades in CDAC are going to help you in big way. More than what's there on your resume, what you actually know is what matters. Deep knowledge of C / C++ is required in all the fields of your interests.

I recommend that you should apply to companies that work in device drivers/ AI or Gaming domains [there are lots of companies!] and face one or two interviews. That should give you an idea of your position in the market and also give you an idea of what you need to learn/ the skills you need to acquire.

But even before you do everything, determine the priority of the three fileds that you've mentioned. That should be your first step.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have more questions. We'll be happy to answer.
  • jumbledJet
    jumbledJet
    Thanks a lot Big_K for your advice. I have already started on C++. My priority is to get into Game development. You say that I need not worry about my engineering grades - but my experience is in Mainframes (cobol, cics, db2 etc etc). Is that good enough? I mean, the companies where I appear for interviews - wont they be asking for RELEVANT experience?
  • devesh
    devesh
    you and I are on the same boat......
    Remember Big_K?????
    I asked you the similar questions with different scenario....
    One more question i want to ask you that if someone gets into the industry(INTERESTED one) with no relevant experience then i m sure they must be absorbed as freshers for that particular field and that means they might be hired on low packages as what freshers get in the industry.So, we have to again come back on the same ground as we were before..
    Any suggestions or comments???????
  • devesh
    devesh
    No answers!!!!!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    devesh
    you and I are on the same boat......
    Remember Big_K?????
    I asked you the similar questions with different scenario....
    One more question i want to ask you that if someone gets into the industry(INTERESTED one) with no relevant experience then i m sure they must be absorbed as freshers for that particular field and that means they might be hired on low packages as what freshers get in the industry.So, we have to again come back on the same ground as we were before..
    Any suggestions or comments???????
    Good that you asked.

The answer to your question is - not always. I've personally known people who worked on .NET for 2 years - got bored - switched to JAVA - worked for 1 year - got bored - switched to software QA etc.

If the shift has to happen between to distinct fields; one needs to answer one simple question : "Why do I want to shift?". Once this question is answered correctly, with all honesty and you know you are ready for the shift, you won't mind being treated as a 'fresher' in that industry.

If 'package' is all you want, stay in your current job/profile and don't crib. Else, jump!

In my opinion, one needs to be very clear about why he/she is interested in switching fields.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello friends.................i'm new to this site..hope i can be one of u.
One of our youngest and the most active member of CE Celebrates her 16[sup]th[/sup] birthday today! :smile: Here's wishing Kinetic_Joules aka Tyler :myparty:HaPpy Birthday:myparty: May all your dreams come true!...
Dear all, Could you all give your valuable comments regarding which platform has more advantages, Windows or Linux? Please pour your knowledge into this... Tight competition among them makes very...
Here's a small coding exercise for programming newbies. I asked this question in an interview to a computer science graduate and she could not solve it. It was surprizing. The...
Let's brainstorm on this one. I came across an old guy who was pulling his cycle rickshaw because he had no energy to peddle. I started thinking if we could...