Need information about cam less ic engines

hi friends

i need more information about camless i.c.engines

what it is i described it here

camless" design that promises to deliver the internal-combustion engine's biggest efficiency improvement in years. The aim of all this effort is liberation from a constraint that has handcuffed performance since the birth of the internal-combustion engine more than a century ago. Camless engine technology is soon to be a reality for commercial vehicles. In the camless valvetrain, the valve motion is controlled directly by a valve actuator - there's no camshaft or connecting mechanisms. Precise electronic circuit controls the operation of the mechanism, thus bringing in more flexibility and accuracy in opening and closing the valves.

Replies

• TheBugInYou
    TheBugInYou
    manish shankar
    hi friends

camless" design that promises to deliver the internal-combustion engine's biggest efficiency improvement in years. The aim of all this effort is liberation from a constraint that has handcuffed performance since the birth of the internal-combustion engine more than a century ago. Camless engine technology is soon to be a reality for commercial vehicles. In the camless valvetrain, the valve motion is controlled directly by a valve actuator - there's no camshaft or connecting mechanisms. Precise electronic circuit controls the operation of the mechanism, thus bringing in more flexibility and accuracy in opening and closing the valves.
    Here is some information i found...

Increased efficiency, reduced emissions, and improved power over existing internal combustion engines are the three primary objectives and anticipated results of the research currently underway at the University of South Carolina. The research focuses on the development of a camless engine and addresses several of the design limitations of earlier camless attempts.

Camless Engine Theory
    Since the origination of the automobile, the internal combustion engine (ICE) has evolved considerably. However, one constant has remained throughout the decades of internal combustion engine development. The camshaft has been the primary means of controlling the valve actuation and timing, and therefore, influencing the overall performance of the vehicle.
    The camshaft is attached to the crankshaft of an ICE and rotates relative to the rotation of the crankshaft. Therefore, as the vehicle increases is velocity, the crankshaft must turn more quickly, and ultimately the camshaft rotates faster. This dependence on the rotational velocity of the crankshaft provides the primary limitation on the use of camshafts.
    As the camshaft rotates, cam lobes, attached to the camshaft, interface with the engine’s valves. This interface may take place via a mechanical linkage, but the result is, as the cam rotates it forces the valve open. The spring return closes the valve when the cam is no longer supplying the opening force. Figure 1 shows a schematic of a single valve and cam on a camshaft.
    [FONT="][​IMG][/FONT]

Since the timing of the engine is dependent on the shape of the cam lobes and the rotational velocity of the camshaft, engineers must make decisions early in the automobile development process that affect the engine’s performance. The resulting design represents a compromise between fuel efficiency and engine power. Since maximum efficiency and maximum power require unique timing characteristics, the cam design must compromise between the two extremes.

This compromise is a prime consideration when consumers purchase automobiles. Some individuals value power and lean toward the purchase of a high performance sports car or towing capable trucks, while others value fuel economy and vehicles that will provide more miles per gallon. ​
    Recognizing this compromise, automobile manufacturers have been attempting to provide vehicles capable of cylinder deactivation, variable valve timing (VVT), or variable camshaft timing (VCT). These new designs are mostly mechanical in nature. Although they do provide an increased level of sophistication, most are still limited to discrete valve timing changes over a limited range.

Current Prototype...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  • rampon77
    rampon77
    manish shankar
    hi friends

hi friend .......
    can u give some information about camless ic engines😁
  • rampon77
    rampon77
    TheBugInYou
    Here is some information i found...

Increased efficiency, reduced emissions, and improved power over existing internal combustion engines are the three primary objectives and anticipated results of the research currently underway at the University of South Carolina. The research focuses on the development of a camless engine and addresses several of the design limitations of earlier camless attempts.

Camless Engine Theory

Since the origination of the automobile, the internal combustion engine (ICE) has evolved considerably. However, one constant has remained throughout the decades of internal combustion engine development. The camshaft has been the primary means of controlling the valve actuation and timing, and therefore, influencing the overall performance of the vehicle.
    The camshaft is attached to the crankshaft of an ICE and rotates relative to the rotation of the crankshaft. Therefore, as the vehicle increases is velocity, the crankshaft must turn more quickly, and ultimately the camshaft rotates faster. This dependence on the rotational velocity of the crankshaft provides the primary limitation on the use of camshafts.
    As the camshaft rotates, cam lobes, attached to the camshaft, interface with the engine’s valves. This interface may take place via a mechanical linkage, but the result is, as the cam rotates it forces the valve open. The spring return closes the valve when the cam is no longer supplying the opening force. Figure 1 shows a schematic of a single valve and cam on a camshaft.
    [FONT="][​IMG][/FONT]

Since the timing of the engine is dependent on the shape of the cam lobes and the rotational velocity of the camshaft, engineers must make decisions early in the automobile development process that affect the engine’s performance. The resulting design represents a compromise between fuel efficiency and engine power. Since maximum efficiency and maximum power require unique timing characteristics, the cam design must compromise between the two extremes.

This compromise is a prime consideration when consumers purchase automobiles. Some individuals value power and lean toward the purchase of a high performance sports car or towing capable trucks, while others value fuel economy and vehicles that will provide more miles per gallon. ​

Recognizing this compromise, automobile manufacturers have been attempting to provide vehicles capable of cylinder deactivation, variable valve timing (VVT), or variable camshaft timing (VCT). These new designs are mostly mechanical in nature. Although they do provide an increased level of sophistication, most are still limited to discrete valve timing changes over a limited range.

Current Prototype...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hi shankar ......
    im rampon doing mech 3 rd yr .....
    can u plz mail me the information elaborately that u hav collected.....
    my mail id is #-Link-Snipped-#
  • keerthicoca
    keerthicoca
    i would like to know the complications involved in the functioning and in manufacturing a camless ic engine

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Cud Any Body Tell Me Abu Da Placement And Scope 4 Dssd Chennai From Cdac , M Frm Electronics And Communication, Wud I B Able 2 Grasp Up Dere M...
hi can anybody tell me how can i use my gate score (391/1000),valid till march 2009 to take admission in MTech or M.S. in biomedical field. I've tried in some...
Hi,i am swati and i am pursuing my engineering(in computer science) from ujjain.I am currently in final year.
CEans, As you all know, we've been displaying advertisements on CrazyEngineers forums. I'd like to seek feedback from you about the advertisements that we display on CE Forums. Couple of...
Use your Symbian OS mobiles to control devices through Bluetooth. The serial to Bluetooth converter from sparkfun.com is used in this project. The Microcontroller At89C2051 is used to receive the...