joe3204
joe3204
Branch Unspecified
23 Jun 2008

need CAD and CFD software for linux

hey guys..help me out. i'm a mechanical engineering student using linux(ubuntu 7.10) and i need to install a 3-D modeling software. please suggest a good open source software. also, i need a good CFD software. found a software called openFOAM. is it good?
einstein89

einstein89

Branch Unspecified
10 years ago
joe3204
hey guys..help me out. i'm a mechanical engineering student using linux(ubuntu 7.10) and i need to install a 3-D modeling software. please suggest a good open source software. also, i need a good CFD software. found a software called openFOAM. is it good?
no idea abt open FOAM ,
but QCAD is used for cad
almost like auto cad
i have tested it wid Sabayon and Knoppix DVD
pls search for tht for ubumtu
i had used 3D wings in knoppix dvd ,
pls search tht for ubuntu too
good 3D software!
Ashraf HZ

Ashraf HZ

Communications
10 years ago
I believe QCAD is a 2D CAD application, not 3D. For the latter, try giving BRL-CAD a shot: BRL-CAD | Open Source Solid Modeling
raj87verma88

raj87verma88

Branch Unspecified
10 years ago
Do Pro/E, Ansys, Catia work on Ubuntu Linux
Ashraf HZ

Ashraf HZ

Communications
10 years ago
I believe they are not really designed and compiled for Linux systems. Catia is especially optimized for Windows. I doubt they have native Linux versions.

Anyway, you can still run them in Virtual machines like WINE, but the performance might dip.
raj87verma88

raj87verma88

Branch Unspecified
10 years ago
@Ash: I was working on Windows till two days back. My computer got infected with a virus and had to format the disk and then started to reinstall windows. Was getting a problem with the sound card(it had happened earlier and I somehow solved the problem but this time couldn't). A friend of mine also tried but failed. He had a CD of Ubuntu Linux 8.04 and installed it on my PC. Therefore, I am new to Linux but have till now found out that wine may be used for running programmes made for windows and exe files do not run on linux and some more.
Ash, can you tell me something more about this OS, I am a newbie to it. But am finding it much better than windows.
just2rock

just2rock

Branch Unspecified
10 years ago
Do anybody have Video Cad software ?....I have the demo but need the full version!
Ashraf HZ

Ashraf HZ

Communications
10 years ago
raj87verma88
@Ash: I was working on Windows till two days back. My computer got infected with a virus and had to format the disk and then started to reinstall windows. Was getting a problem with the sound card(it had happened earlier and I somehow solved the problem but this time couldn't). A friend of mine also tried but failed. He had a CD of Ubuntu Linux 8.04 and installed it on my PC. Therefore, I am new to Linux but have till now found out that wine may be used for running programmes made for windows and exe files do not run on linux and some more.
Ash, can you tell me something more about this OS, I am a newbie to it. But am finding it much better than windows.
My friend, I'm also a newbie to the Linux world 😔 However, Ubuntu is quite easy to pick up because of the many tutorials and resources on the net.

As a first encounter, you should probably learn how to use some of the basic command lines, such as "sudo", "apt-get", etc. Once you learn how to access stuff at "root" level (kinda like admin) and download packages, you should have no problems staying put with Ubuntu 😀

One thing to remember is that non-open source applications and codecs are not installed in ubuntu by default. So if you want to play mp3 songs for example, you need to download the codecs.

Currently, I'm using openSUSE. Not as user friendly as Ubuntu, but I find it quite unique to use, hehe.

[EDIT]
just2rock
Do anybody have Video Cad software ?....I have the demo but need the full version!
Bro, what do you mean by Video CAD?

Share this content on your social channels -

Only logged in users can reply.