need CAD and CFD software for linux

hey guys..help me out. i'm a mechanical engineering student using linux(ubuntu 7.10) and i need to install a 3-D modeling software. please suggest a good open source software. also, i need a good CFD software. found a software called openFOAM. is it good?

Replies

• einstein89
    einstein89
    joe3204
    hey guys..help me out. i'm a mechanical engineering student using linux(ubuntu 7.10) and i need to install a 3-D modeling software. please suggest a good open source software. also, i need a good CFD software. found a software called openFOAM. is it good?
    no idea abt open FOAM ,
    but QCAD is used for cad
    almost like auto cad
    i have tested it wid Sabayon and Knoppix DVD
    pls search for tht for ubumtu
    i had used 3D wings in knoppix dvd ,
    pls search tht for ubuntu too
    good 3D software!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I believe QCAD is a 2D CAD application, not 3D. For the latter, try giving BRL-CAD a shot: BRL-CAD: Open Source Solid Modeling
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Do Pro/E, Ansys, Catia work on Ubuntu Linux
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I believe they are not really designed and compiled for Linux systems. Catia is especially optimized for Windows. I doubt they have native Linux versions.

Anyway, you can still run them in Virtual machines like WINE, but the performance might dip.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    @Ash: I was working on Windows till two days back. My computer got infected with a virus and had to format the disk and then started to reinstall windows. Was getting a problem with the sound card(it had happened earlier and I somehow solved the problem but this time couldn't). A friend of mine also tried but failed. He had a CD of Ubuntu Linux 8.04 and installed it on my PC. Therefore, I am new to Linux but have till now found out that wine may be used for running programmes made for windows and exe files do not run on linux and some more.
    Ash, can you tell me something more about this OS, I am a newbie to it. But am finding it much better than windows.
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    Do anybody have Video Cad software ?....I have the demo but need the full version!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    raj87verma88
    @Ash: I was working on Windows till two days back. My computer got infected with a virus and had to format the disk and then started to reinstall windows. Was getting a problem with the sound card(it had happened earlier and I somehow solved the problem but this time couldn't). A friend of mine also tried but failed. He had a CD of Ubuntu Linux 8.04 and installed it on my PC. Therefore, I am new to Linux but have till now found out that wine may be used for running programmes made for windows and exe files do not run on linux and some more.
    Ash, can you tell me something more about this OS, I am a newbie to it. But am finding it much better than windows.
    My friend, I'm also a newbie to the Linux world 😔 However, Ubuntu is quite easy to pick up because of the many tutorials and resources on the net.

As a first encounter, you should probably learn how to use some of the basic command lines, such as "sudo", "apt-get", etc. Once you learn how to access stuff at "root" level (kinda like admin) and download packages, you should have no problems staying put with Ubuntu 😀

One thing to remember is that non-open source applications and codecs are not installed in ubuntu by default. So if you want to play mp3 songs for example, you need to download the codecs.

Currently, I'm using openSUSE. Not as user friendly as Ubuntu, but I find it quite unique to use, hehe.

[EDIT]
    just2rock
    Do anybody have Video Cad software ?....I have the demo but need the full version!
    Bro, what do you mean by Video CAD?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Who can recognize more people 😀 EDIT:: Actually they're 102 not 105
Hi , I am doing my electrical engg , 3rd year . I am planning to do my project in an industry , can you suggest some ideas and some...
my processor is latest i m using mother board(murcury).i have problem with graphics properties when i open graphics properties windows give msg floating run time error c++ visual microsoft.
i want doing project 4 participation so ive me some idea and help.
I am doing a project in electronics, and there's a part in which i have to turn a motor by 90 degrees and 180 degrees according certain conditions. I am...