Need advice for roof design.

dear sir/madam
existing ground floor home, load bearing wall (no column,no beam) with R.C.C. flate roof
(1) can it convert it into R.C.C. column,beam for upper floor (I mean first floor) ?
(2)if yes,what can I do?
please answer in details with map and sketch also.
thanks in advance

Replies

• CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    no i don't think that is possible.. for a framed structure (with columns and beam) we need to have a continuous load transfer from the column of top floor to the foundation in the basement. so unless we have columns in the ground floor i don't think you can have framed structure in first floor.
  • navmis
    navmis
    CIVILPRINCESS
    no i don't think that is possible.. for a framed structure (with columns and beam) we need to have a continuous load transfer from the column of top floor to the foundation in the basement. so unless we have columns in the ground floor i don't think you can have framed structure in first floor.
    Thank you sir for yours replies
    I want to know that possibility of providing some column at the corner or outer wall of building with support of shear wall develop frame structure at upper floor ?
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    that i'm not sure it is possible. because for the load bearing walls the wall footing would have been provided. now if you insert a column then you'll have to provide an isolated column footing. it'll be disturbing the footing. so i'm not sure if it is safe. i'd recommend that you consult a consultant or a practicing engineer.
  • Scott927
    Scott927
    Yeh I don't think you can without some major overhaul of the structure. I don't think it will comply with building codes if you make the changes.
  • navmis
    navmis
    Scott927
    Yeh I don't think you can without some major overhaul of the structure. I don't think it will comply with building codes if you make the changes.
    thanks sir ,
    I want more replies please give your views thankyou in advance
  • nobeel
    nobeel
    Yes I think this is not possible for the structure which condition you specified here. Although all the other participant also perform well.

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Mohamed Amir
    Mohamed Amir
    I suggest to upload a plan of the topic to discuss over it as this topics can not be discussed generally but each case has it's own solution
  • rekcah
    rekcah
    i suggest also you should model you plan in some structural analysis program, in order you can investigate if that is possible or not. how many storey you want to add? civilprincess is right you should check the wall footing if this design for two storey. and the slab you can check also this one if this can carry a partition wall especially hollow blocks.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We've had similar debates before; but this one specifically targets donating money to religious institutions versus giving money to the road side beggars. One of the points made was -...
This thread aims at discussing residual electricity and the amount of losses it accounts for. An estimate is that residual electricity is responsible for ~10% power loss. If that's true,...
OLED technology is on its way to becoming mainstream technology in displays. LG recently introduced 55" OLED TV and I'm quite sure that other companies will follow. Referring to Wikipedia...
I'm failing to understand whether the engineering & technology industry is doing well or not. Thanks to the confusing reports by the leading media that does not give us any...
Just wondering whether we have engineers who're planning to start their own full-time or part-time venture in 2012. It could just a part-time activity that you want to turn into...