NASA Asteroid Tracker Aces Crucial Test

NASA has invested its efforts into building an infrared sensor that could track and detect future occurrences of asteroid and comets in deep space. The probable device whose core instrument is the Near Object Camera (NEOCam) was tested in an environment that emulated temperatures and pressures of space to determine its performance. With NEOCam passing the crucial test, plans of an asteroid-hunting telescope seem one step closer to realization. If so, the sensor will play a pivotal role in identifying, capturing and re-locating asteroids that fly close to Earth for future exploration. As Asteroids do not emit visible light but reflect it, a small light-colored space rock may be confused for a big, dark one in relation to the reflective property of an object. In such circumstances, optical telescopes would fail to deliver accurate data. Infrared Sensors on the other hand observe the thermal emissions of an object, which seem to be a better measure of an asteroid's size.

slide

NASA's Discovery Program and AstroPhysics Research & Analysis program have contributed significantly to design future missions with a purpose to protect Earth from objects that come within 28 miles of its orbit. The NEOCam instrument is light in weight for launching aboard space-based telescopes. The proposed device will be headed to a location about four times the distance between Earth and the Moon to keep a watch on the vicinity of the planet. I guess that'd ensure no more surprise visits from space rocks unlike earlier this year.

Source: NASA-Funded Asteroid Tracking Sensor Passes Key Test | NASA

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

One of my relative having offer from Siddhartha Institute of Aeronautical Engineering & Information Technology, Bangalore. If anyone know how is this college provide some review about this college.
I have done my BE EEE. and now i got job as graduate engineer trainee. and work will be related to coal handling section of thermal power plant(coal conveyor). and...
Hey! Is there any sensor which sense pressure??
The front side of a vehicle is shaped so that it reduces air friction. Thats why vehicles have inclined bonnet. All most all cars are so. But, why aren't any...
Dual-tone multi-frequency signaling (DTMF) is used for telecommunication signaling over analog telephone lines in the voice-frequency band between telephone handsets and other communications devices and the switching center. (Source: Wikipedia)...