MyFC PowerTrekk - Charge Your Cellphone With 'Water-Powered' Charger

It is amazing to see the pace of research happening in the field of batteries and chargers. Given that 'going compact' is our anthem and cellphones or handhelds the present and future, we are going to need to carry some of these innovationsas we pack our travel bags. MyFC PowerTrekk, is a one-of-a-king charger that works on water. Yep. Thanks to Swedish research, what we have here is the World's First water-activated charger.

It so happens that the scientists from KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm used a micro-fuel cell technology and some ordinary puddle of water (fresh from tap or a mug full from the sea) to extend the life of a battery used in devices of up to 3 watts. Anders Lundblad, KTH researcher and founder of MyFC, even says that the water need not be even completely clean. How does this thing work, you wonder? Well, a USB connector attaches the compact PowerTrekk charger to the device. When plain water is poured onto a small recyclable metal disc inside the unit, hydrogen gas is released and combines with oxygen to convert chemical energy into electrical energy. The resulting charge is enough to power an iPhone to between 25-100% of its battery capacity.

slide

If that isn't amazing enough, you would love to know that the team of researchers is now aiming towards building fuel cells in laptops. Though a bit expensive now, it is only a matter of time when fuel cells reach the masses and prices come falling down. And not only eco-friendlier than any other resource you can think of, Lundblad claims that these fuel cell chargers are faster and more reliable than solar chargers.

If you are at - Shut up and Take My Money - already, let me tell you that MyFC does plan to open an on-line shop for its MyFC PowerTrekk product. The product is already being bought by enthusiasts in China, Japan, the US and Europe.

Replies

• KUMAR BHAILA
    KUMAR BHAILA
    how does the hydrogen gas is produced without giving any kind of energy???????????????
  • KUMAR BHAILA
    KUMAR BHAILA
    what is the role of power pukk ?
    from where it's take energy for initiation of chemical reaction?
  • KUMAR BHAILA
    KUMAR BHAILA
    please answer these questions??????????????
  • KenJackson
    KenJackson
    As always, it seems, there's a good explanation at Wikipedia:
    Fuel Cell

I question the value of this. If one hockey puck gives you less than a full charge, and you have to carry the plastic apparatus with you also, it seems like it would be easier (less mass, less volume, less time) and more economical (less money) to carry several spare fully charged batteries. I'll bet those hockey pucks aren't cheap.

And what does "recyclable" mean? Does it mean you can buy some more solid chemicals to refill it (for how much?), or that you can toss it in your curbside recycling bin?
  • KUMAR BHAILA
    KUMAR BHAILA
    thanks i have got it

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Amazon's Kindle has arrived in India via the popular digital goods distributor, Redington as its distribution partner. BGR reports that the agreement between Amazon & Redington was signed a few...
Laser illuminated microscope now allows researchers to see objects that are only 10nm wide. The super-resolution optical microscope does not require fluorescent dyes and it's being claimed that this advancement...
Please take a look at my confusion- - Small signal equivalent ckts and Large signal equivalent ckts = transistor eq ckts operating at ac signals of low amplitude and at...
Hi, Which is the best website or site to visit to find a job? I am tired to apply without receive any call or email back. I have 3 years...
Operation IceBridge is on the brink of completion and the successful mission will see a considerable addition to the dataset that started with NASA's ICESat in 2003. IceBridge has collected...