Muhammad Yunus - Social Business; What can we do?

Bangladeshi economist Muhammad Yunus runs one of the few socially responsible banks in the world: Grameen Bank, which provides small loans to poor people and entrepreneurs with no collateral to help them become financially self-sufficient.

Yunus, who also serves on the UN Foundation's board of directors, describes how he created his social business model, and how others can create benevolent businesses of their own.

Socially responsible businesses succeed because their bottom lines focus on others, rather than on profit alone—Yunus believes this creates an incredible opportunity for start-ups in many destitute sectors, such as healthcare.

The question that we should ask ourselves, "Should we leave everything to the decisions of the profit maximizers, so that their benefit is what decides the world?"
I would like CEans to share their thoughts on this.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Ideas that spread, Win. - A simple phrase that makes an impact. This phrase starts to re-arrange, shift your mindset. You don't need to read a whole book, you don't...
Hello CEans, As we know there are many CEans who have interesting signatures. CEans share their blog/website links, quotes etc.. via signature so here CE is launching a contest -...
I came across this article on GigaOM's blog, where they quoted Bill Gates words from Wall Street Journal’s Eco:nomics conference, "We need “energy miracles,” or break through innovation, in at...
If I wake up tomorrow and there is no Google, what difference will it make to our lives? We used to use Google 'primarily' to search things. There are plenty...
Hey.... I want to controll Stepper motor with At89c51.. and i made simulation in proteus.. and program made in keil . . . but i cant make loop for it.......