MPEG 2 and MPEG-4

I found this amazing

Among the 2 compression techniques the output from the MPEG-4 seems to provide very less data rate compared to that of MPEG-2

What can be the reason?
Tata Sky MPEG-4 Set Top Box To Offer More Channels
Hers it seems That Tata Sky is able to broad cast more channel's in the same Bandwidth which it was using till date

There is no official news that TATA sky increased it band of operation as well

This made me come to the previous conclusion Do pour in your ideas here??

PS: I detest coding So do clarify in laymen terms with links for all to learn

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Conqueror
    Among the 2 compression techniques the output from the MPEG-4 seems to provide very less data rate compared to that of MPEG-2
    I read some articles yesterday after that news.
    MPEG-4 doesn't only have high-compression rate compared to MPEG-2, But alongwith high compression rate (due to super compression algorithm,so low memory size of video) it also has much better quality than MPEG-2, so it is quite obvious for Tata to replace it with MPEG-4, as whole world has moved to MPEG-4 from MPEG-2.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Recently a blog leaked the Xeon roadmap shows the successor the Broadwell (which is successor of Haswell) that is yet to penetrate the mainstream. Intel's Skylake is 14-nm processor which...
I am always having ping of around 100+ & that value increases to 200 or 250 + during peak hours ( morning 9 to evening 5), then again lowers to...
What is a catastrophic failure? Why a design engineer should consider it as the greatest failure?what might be the causes for such failure?what measures can be taken to avoid or...
Does any person have details about toxic mildew? I think I might have a problem.
Engineers at MIT have succeeded in developing an all-optical transistor that uses light instead of electricity to perform computing. Think of it as a switch that can be turned on...