Mount Everest Gets 4G Connectivity.

Huawei - Building a Fully Connected, Intelligent World, global ICT solution provider company today has successfully established the 4G connection on Mount Everest about 5,200 meters above sea-level, with the help of China Mobile Limited.

During the launch, Huawei revealed that the deployment of towers & connectivity work was completed one month ago in June.Yesterday, during the official launch of 4G connectivity on Mount Everest; China Mobile demonstrated the new 4G technology to the guests in Mount Everest with HD live video streaming from the base camp.​
David Wang, President of Huawei Wireless & Networks said," Bringing 4G to Mount Everest marks an important milestone in global LTE development."​
In 2008 only GSM infrastructure were established in Mount Everest, while 3G connectivity came to Mt. Everest at the end of 2010 by Huawei's competitor, ZTE; thus users without 4G enabled smartphones can still access internet using 3G connection.​
Source : #-Link-Snipped-#
Do we even have 3G connectivity in holy place, like Kedarnath?​

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Abhishek Rawal
    Mount Everest already had 3G connectivity due to 2008 Olympics games torch relay, thus users without 4G enabled smartphones can still access internet using 3G connection.
    Correction, in 2008 only GSM infrastructure were established. 3G only come to Mt. Everest at the end of 2010 by Huawei's competitor, ZTE. Looks like bragging rights swang back to Huawei 😛

I wonder whats next for Mt. Everest? Setting up a hotel at the peak? 😁
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ash
    Correction, in 2008 only GSM infrastructure were established. 3G only come to Mt. Everest at the end of 2010 by Huawei's competitor, ZTE. Looks like bragging rights swang back to Huawei 😛

Thanks mate for correcting.
    Edited.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ash

Facebook will setup their Data Center there. "Mark" my words.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    I always, what the hell we human's want to prove. 4G at Mt. Everest, they must have spend millions to get that. Do you think this is worth it (other than proving a provider superior than other). They could easily pass on the money saved to their consumer base 😔

They should do the innovation which will help the human being, shouldn't be a burden on them.

-CB
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    crazyboy
    They should do the innovation which will help the human being, shouldn't be a burden on them.
    -CB
    Well, how else can climbers stream their Mt Everest conquest to all their social network buddies in HD? 😛😛

On a serious note, telecom vendors do always benefit from exploits like this. Other than brand image, they do learn from the challenges faced in integrating telco intrastructure in harsh conditions and near impossible logistical challenges (at the expense of the engineers 😉)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Apple aiming to battle the Android in low-end to Mid-end sector with the rumoured budget iPhone.The few screenshots of the budget iphone has been leaked by Techdy ​ ​The shiny...
Recently I noticed an "autorefresh" feature in a website. In this website there is no real time chat or anything. Just simple links to latest news,technical reviews, Technical Q/A &...
My doubt is related to KICK START bikes: Why do some bikes gets started though they are not in neutral (Eg. Yamaha) and why do some bikes should be brought...
Everyone knows that one person in office or at the university who gets restless when the quick smoke break is denied. However hard they try, they just can't quit smoking....
Have you every seen Pics of Jaguar D-Type or E-Type? After the success of predecessor Jaguar is all set to launch Jaguar F-Type and probably a Indian launch in coming...