Misleading Advertisements Collection Thread

I see that the television is full of misleading advertisements. The advertisements are meant to first make people insecure and then offer a solution through a product. I thought of collecting all the misleading advertisements in this thread and request contribution from our members as well. Post the advertisement image/video/text etc. and then tell us why do you think the ad is misleading. I'll begin with one -

This one is classic. The girl gets rejected because she's 'dark' (and Indians are dark skinned). Her father magically finds out a solution and offers it to his daughter. The daughter, because she's now 'fair', enjoys all the success.

First of all, I'm yet to see a person who's changed his/her skin color by applying a cosmetic. The truth is that your success does *not* depend on your skin color because your skin color is a result of melanin in your skin.

Looking forward to more.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I am normally a peaceloving person and avoid all violence even towards insects. I take evasive action. However, this fair and lovely thing is the one that raises all murderous instincts in me. I have seen myriads of fair and hideous men and women. All versions of devi Durga and all Vishnu avatars are dark. Ganesh is black.
    I sense that my BP is rising. Let me stop.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @bioramani: Happens with me when I see "Fair & Handsome" ads. I think these ads should be immediately banned because they are making several people insecure!

Plus the company does not mention use of any harmful chemicals in their product. In reality however, the product *has* several harmful chemicals: #-Link-Snipped-# ; and worst - they are slow in their reaction!
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I bath everyday! See how fair and Handsome I am! Any questions? 😁
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Folks, post misleading advertisements in this thread. We can have a separate discussion on ingredients of Fair & Lovely.
  • K Vikrant
    K Vikrant
    What I am about to post is not an advertisement for a product as such, but of a diet.
    Sample this - Hrithik Roshan: From fat to fit | Hindi Movie News - Times of India .
    [​IMG]

In this article , Hrithik claims to have gone from the left image to the right one in mere 10 weeks.

One can easily imagine the effect such advertisement has on fans. In trying to ape him they will only end up over straining themselves.
    What's more Hrithik says he didn't reduce his diet intake. He says that the trick is to eat small meals 8-10 times a day.
    Now this is fine for Hrithik who has the entire day dedicated just to keep his 8 packs intact. Our celebrities should give suggestions which can be followed by everyone irrespective of their economic background.

There is no quick fix method to attain a healthy body. One only has to follow a balanced diet and do exercise regularly. It takes years of effort.

Hrithik has been guilty of what Kareena Kapoor has been guilty of since the past few years.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar

due to these deodorant commercial some of my friends empty their deo bottle within few days.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    However often i use AXE, I end up being avoided!!! What the??
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    even i hate such kinds of ads which you can clearly see that they are trying to simply fool you off. The ads like apply our oil and your hairs will start growing again in 6 weeks!!?? huh. The capsules will tone your body like the 1 salman khan have. hahahaha. N still, there are the one's which play with the human beliefs. like wear our gemstone and you won't get a bad luck. lolzzzz......
  • born_star16
    born_star16
    Ads of all the cosmetic products are false and misleading for me.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    The Bournvita advertisement where two ladies are discussing about the 'calcium' in the milk. I have heard this for the first time in my life that you need Bournvita to get the calcium from the milk? I don't understand how that works. 😕
    Besides the advertisement is very irritating. 😡
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Ads like the one K posted are deliberately made that way i think, to prey on the self conscious and insecure. Thats how they get their sales. It is very hurtfull. I agree that it should be banned. Imagine watching that ad with family or a loved one, i image it would bring a horrible feeling.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    The_Big_K
    This one is classic. The girl gets rejected because she's 'dark' (and Indians are dark skinned). Her father magically finds out a solution and offers it to his daughter. The daughter, because she's now 'fair', enjoys all the success.

The truth is that your success does *not* depend on your skin color because your skin color is a result of melanin in your skin.
    Actually, to be honest - Research says it does (or at least empirical data). A Harvard Research compared the top executives of the top Fortune 500 companies, and it turns out that a majority of them were what you may call "conventionally good looking".

The ad does send the wrong message, but lets not forget that it is the widely held sentiment in India (even today). The firm is simply playing to the emotions of the masses, and also tapping on the helplessness of parents.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Wanna be a Tennis Champion?
    Now all you need is a 'Vaseline Healthy White Skin Lightening lotion'.

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    See This article on BBC :Has skin whitening in India gone too far? - BBC News
    I think companies, movies shows that people from western countries are better than Indian. May be that is why people at least wanted to look like them. current fashion trend is like that.
    Everyone have seen that fairness cream ad: which can fight from sweating😲.
    People who use this even think about, if this product not let you sweat then its harming more to you by keeping that Saline water in your body👎
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Advertisements I think are being made to mislead us since ages. Recently, I came across a documentary called 'Killing us Softly.'

I think all will agree to the fact that to a great extent, advertising tells us who we are and who we should be. What does advertising tell us today about women? It tells us just as did it 10 and 20 and 30 years ago that what’s most important about women is how we look. The first thing the advertisers do is surround us with the image of ideal female beauty so we all learn how important it is for a women to be beautiful and exactly what it takes.

Jean Kilbourne continues her groundbreaking analysis of advertising’s depiction of women in this most recent update of her pioneering Killing Us Softly series. In fascinating detail, Kilbourne decodes an array of print and television advertisements to reveal a pattern of disturbing and destructive gender stereotypes.

All those who think that advertisements are grossly misleading, do see this -
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Vivien.hugo
    Vivien.hugo
    Such kind of ads exaggerate the effects of the products.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    It's surprising! Don't the actors / models acting in these advertisements realize what message they are sending to the viewers. Are they so ignorant? 😕
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Dancer_Engineer
    The Bournvita advertisement where two ladies are discussing about the 'calcium' in the milk. I have heard this for the first time in my life that you need Bournvita to get the calcium from the milk? I don't understand how that works. 😕
    Besides the advertisement is very irritating. 😡
    Okay, I can't help commenting on this. The natural source of vitamin D, in case people don't know is 'The Sun' which has been already declared 'bad for skin' by the ad-makers and wealthy brand owners. First you cut down the natural and free source of vitamin D and ask people to consume the pricy 'Bournvita' so that you get the calcium.

I wonder whether everyone in the past had calcium deficiency. Someone should put a check on what's being conveyed through these advertisements and mass media.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Reading posts on skin cream, I would like to share something :
    5-6 years back Hindustan Unilever's Fair & lovely for women cream was extremely famous.
    Now question was,among whom it was famous ? Girls or boys?
    So,a newly emerging cosmetics company named emami took survey in entire India & found that 72% fair & lovely users were male & not female.Surprising isn't it ? but truth.
    So,emami launched cream named "fair & handsome" & you all might be knowing that reason behind falling of hindustan unilever was this new product of emami.
    Now that's business 😀
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The_Big_K
    I wonder whether everyone in the past had calcium deficiency. Someone should put a check on what's being conveyed through these advertisements and mass media.
    This is the case even with common salt. 1.5 years back, Hon'ble supreme gave a judgement. Read for yourself. #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ashish Bardhan
    Ashish Bardhan
    The_Big_K
    I see that the television is full of misleading advertisements. The advertisements are meant to first make people insecure and then offer a solution through a product. I thought of collecting all the misleading advertisements in this thread and request contribution from our members as well. Post the advertisement image/video/text etc. and then tell us why do you think the ad is misleading. I'll begin with one -

First of all, I'm yet to see a person who's changed his/her skin color by applying a cosmetic. The truth is that your success does *not* depend on your skin color because your skin color is a result of melanin in your skin.

Looking forward to more.
    That's the classic one, Biggy.
    It actually reflects what society thinks about even if it is misleading.
  • Ashish Bardhan
    Ashish Bardhan
    born_star16
    Ads of all the cosmetic products are false and misleading for me.
    Ditto !! 😀
  • Ashish Bardhan
    Ashish Bardhan
    ianoop

due to these deodorant commercial some of my friends empty their deo bottle within few days.
    Actually, Axe ruined it all.
    Now all the companies selling bodysprays and deodorants, make such silly ads. 😡
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    The_Big_K

Looking forward to more.
    i remember a similar ad for cello pens. (can't find that video on youtube).

it was about a girl who happened to be a poor performing student.

but one day her dad gifts her a cello gel , and whoa ! writing with that pen, she soon becomes a successful doctor !

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

During my days of working as a software engineer when I was a new entrant in the corporate world, I'd often question why Indian software engineers do low-quality work than...
Adsense publishers rejoice. Google has officially launched what's called 'Adsense Publisher Toolbar' (is not a toolbar actually, just a button) that will sit next to the omnibox on your Google...
Can anyone tell me what is the difference between De Morgans theorem and Principle of Duality?
Ok, quickly I'll just take 150 seconds from you. 😁 One of my friends had once passed around a sheet of paper (divided into 2 columns) during a lecture and...
SRPThis concerns with the scope, application, seminars, conferences, research and anything else that is related to the field of Nanoscience and Technology.WOULD ANYBODY PLEASE LET ME KNOW ABOUT THE SEMINARS...