Microsoft To Bring Xbox Live Service To Apple And Android

Microsoft’s beloved Xbox live social gaming service is now all set to power Apple and Android devices. This would undoubtedly put Microsoft in direct competition with Apple’s game center and Android’s play store. Xbox live is used on Windows and Windows Phone consoles for social gaming, friend listings, achievements etc. As reported by The Verge, sources familiar to Microsoft have informed that the company is planning to extend Xbox's reach by making it cross platform and available to iOS and Android devices.

Microsoft will do so by building a modern, open source, extensible framework scalable across various platform including iOS and Android, as revealed by Microsoft’s recent job posting (which is no longer available). The company’s plans are believed to win back its game developers and make Xbox experience easy to integrate. Currently, integration of Xbox requires permission and certification from Microsoft, but in future, it would reduce the restrictions.

Xbox

Microsoft is focusing on having Xbox service on “every platform” as an alternative and universal way for achievements, friend listings and also to somehow compete with friends in cross-platform titles. Achievements is believed to be a major reason why Xbox gamers stick to Microsoft platform. If Microsoft develops cross-platform Xbox, gamers would enjoy achievements, messaging, leaderboards and even voice chat with friends on other platforms. For now, it’s time to wait-and-see what Microsoft bring to gamers.

What do you think about the new Xbox plan? Will it prove beneficial for the company? Do share your views in comments below.

Source: Microsoft wants Xbox Live to power Android and iOS games - The Verge

Replies

• prahu mac
    prahu mac
    i think microsoft is trying to find a way out of this mess by making xbox available to all platforms!!!!!
  • Dhananjay Harkare
    Dhananjay Harkare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# May be. As I've written, main focus of Microsoft is to bring back the game developers and extending Xbox could be one of the ways.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This papers are solved by our Telecom experts
I have completed my BE and I am planning to give the Comptia A+ and N+ certificate exam in near future. What other certifcate course training can one undergo in...
Micromax has launched its new mid-budget smartphone with Micromax Canvas Blaze HD EG116 that features a 12.7 cm (5-inch) HD IPS screen with 1280 x 720 pixel resolution. Powered by...
Google reportedly blew netizens' mind away with its Project Loon, and Facebook is following up close in its pursuit of becoming the 'dial-tone of the Internet'. As per Mark Zuckerberg's...
Fed up of the same list of pizzas at Pizza Hut? Want to make something of your own choice? Then probably you have to wait for sometime, as Pizza Hut...