Micromax & Cyanogen Deal In India Proves To Be A Bitter Pill For OnePlus Customers

Remember the time you got all excited about OnePlus One In India Via Amazon - PreOrder Starts Soon!? Well, there have been some developments in the corporate world which are sure to put Indian customers in a state of partial gloom. We use the word ‘partial’ because the OnePlus One will go on sale as intimated by Amazon India on December 2nd but it will not be getting software support from Cyanogen in the future. This means that the OnePlus One will carry the CyanogenMod OS at launch but it shall be replaced with a beta version of OnePlus’s own concoction based on Android Lollipop in December followed by public rollout sometime in February 2015. These changes are applicable for the Indian subcontinent only because of the deal struck between Micromax and Cyanogen for the former’s new range of Android smartphones.

OnePlus One

When Micromax struck a deal with Cyanogen for its YU range of smartphones there was no mention of OnePlus One, but on November 26 Cyanogen informed OnePlus that it had granted exclusive rights in India over CyanogenMod to Micromax. Folks over at OnePlus were disappointed and shocked at Cyanogen’s decision because with the help of the latter they had successfully launched OnePlus One in 17 countries. In October, OnePlus had released the 38R OTA update which included SAR values to comply with Indian regulations.

OnePlus

OnePlus One has addressed to Indian fans #-Link-Snipped-# that user experience is their top priority and the upcoming build by the company will be bloatware-free same as before and will include Google’s Material Design in its pure form without any customisations. They are pledging two years of support and will extend it further depending on users’ interest. #-Link-Snipped-# points out that OnePlus has a similar situation in China where it is using Oppo’s Color OS instead of CyanogenMod and will be soon replacing it with its home grown operating system. They also speculate that it might be the beginning of the end of Cyanogen and OnePlus’ relationship but the latter has denied commenting on this issue.

Sure there are means to bring CyanogenMod to OnePlus such as manually flashing the smartphone with software updates obtained from the internet but most people were hoping to avoid the hassle. So will you be still going to go for the ‘flagship killer’? Let us know in the comment section below.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• BeeHoney
    BeeHoney
    OnePlus Has already proven its popularity through its design and price point and now with its new (OS) software it might raise the eagerness one again for the users. Like APPL it can be more successful it has more control on both hardware and software, it can build more services.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Definitely good move by cyanogen and micromax. Waiting for micromax to rule
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    Definitely good move by cyanogen and micromax. Waiting for micromax to rule
    Most dumbnuts Indians in top forums bashing Micromax & Cyanogen for their partnership. Okay, One plus delivers nice build than MM, but screw that shit. I will support my country's product over anyothers.
    I have Android One device of MM & it's marvellous product and I am going to purchase new MM device with CM too.

What a double standards these Indians are having!
    First they whine that there is no Indian flagship & talk shit everywhere on forums like lil girls and when one local company is seriously rising they don't even support.

BeeHoney
    Like APPL it can be more successful it has more control on both hardware and software, it can build more services.
    They have no control on software as their new custom OS will be based on Android.
    Unless they don't develop an OS from scratch, they can't control the OS. Maybe One+ should abandon Android & rather deliver Ubuntu Touch or Jolla Sailfish.
  • Aziya Syed
    Aziya Syed
    Appreciable step by micromax..waiting for it
  • lovebox
    lovebox
    MM + CM.... sounds really interesting! Looking forward to it.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The breakup's final, folks. The OnePlus officials have confirmed that the support to CM firmware will be stopped and instead, Indian OPO phones will ship with a custom firmware that will have all the CYANOGENMOD features that OnePlus developed. But nothing to worry about. You will be able to flash the CM12 firmware update as soon as it releases; but you'll have to do it all manually (no OTA, sorry).

Cyanogenmod is good and with their firmware installer, I doubt there will be any problems installing it on the phones. OPO has confirmed that installing the CM firmware won't void the warranty.

I hope Micromax does something better; CM is a promising flavour for all the android lovers out there.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Abhishek Rawal
    I will support my country's product over anyothers.
    Micromax only imports Chinese phones and puts their label. Unless they totally 'make in India'; it's not "Indian" anymore. By the way, they are indeed talking about manufacturing phones in India.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    It seems it was a big misunderstanding on part of OnePlus. Cyanogen today came forward to clear the air regarding the support issue. Cyanogen said

“To clarify misinformation out there, the OnePlus One will get OTA firmware updates for all global devices, including global devices for our users in India. Rather than have misinformation continue to circulate out there, we felt it important to bring this matter to rest.”

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    And right now the news has it that Micromax's YU Cyanogen OS Smartphone is all set to launch on December 18.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

For a 0.5 kg mass, how can i calculate spring constant, natural frequency and damping ratio for the given system output.
Did any other ISP have blocked thepiratebay.se ? Well, mine is. And my ISP is BSNL. There should be way to enjoy TPB freedom. So guess what ? I moved...
I am facing a unknown problem here in my laptop. Whenever i try to access www.google.co.in in my chrome, It shows a privacy message and access was denied. I had...
In spite of being a banker, such things crops up in my mind because of base- ENGINEERING. Idea came up in my mind (actually engineering mind, i must say)for improving...
sir i have iball 150 adsl4+ modem. in my modem DSL is on . when i connecting to internet router not connect to internet. please solve this problem.