Metallurgy Basic Doubts

Hi Guys,

I have few doubts regarding Metallurgy.

We are using Bearing Steel (EN-31 / SAE 52100) for manufacturing certain components. We are using commercial quality material from ISMT and other suppliers to manufacture the same. We get tubes from ISMT while rounds from other suppliers. Rounds are then forged and used to make the finish components while the tubes are cut into short pieces and then used to make the finish components.

After machining all the components are heat treated to achieve surface hardness of about 61 HRC and more. Then they are polished and sold off.

My doubts are:

1) Is it better use a Tube from ISMT or Forged pcs made of commercial quality bearing steel from non-standard suppliers?

2) What is the difference between Prime Quality Steel & Commercial Quality Steel? How can I check it? Is there any difference between forged pcs of both quality? (Is the difference in quality still intact after getting forged?)

3) Is there a process that can help these components get better life?

4) I've heard that when bearings are made from forged steel 3mm from OD, ID & Width are removed. If I am not wrong its to remove some carbon. Please elaborate about this. I am not manufacturing bearings but do I need to remove 3mm material too, to get better life or other qualities.

I have other questions as well but shall post them in a day or two. In the mean while please help me out here.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi folks, I am having Internet connection from BSNL and it frequently gets disconnected. I am using Ubuntu 10.0.4 and i use "wget" command to download file and if internet...
Hey people...i have a question regarding multiplexer. Implement the following function with a multiplexer f(A,B,C,D) = ∑(0,1,3,4,8,9,15)
Hi Friends, Its been long since I last posted on CE. Reason I was busy with my MBA after a successful CAT 08. Now that I have completed my course...
I just googled for the latest IIM world rankings but couldn't find IIM's name anywhere.. So can anyone tell me where does IIM come in the world rankings at present...
What’s the procedure of applying for MBA in Banking & Finance course in Sikkim Manipal Uni...., Is it online or do we have to go to the learning centre