Mechanical Tests on NON STANDARD Specimen..

Am doing a project on welding, And i am supposed to test the tensile strength and impact strength of the weldment... Bus the thickness which is 4 mm does not match with any of the ASTM standards... How can i test now?? Help me out please....

Replies

• N.Gowtham Raj
    N.Gowtham Raj
    I want to test a weldment's tensile and impact characteristics which is of 4mm thick and does not conform to any of the ASTM standards... How do I test now? pls help me out...
  • N.Gowtham Raj
    N.Gowtham Raj
    I want to test a weldment's tensile and impact characteristics which is of 4mm thick and does not conform to any of the ASTM standards... How do I test now? pls help me out...
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Threads merged.
  • N.Gowtham Raj
    N.Gowtham Raj
    Some one pls help me out guys...
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    If a standard does not exist, then you can use the figures provided for the next smallest size. I dont get how ASTM standards come in here 👎
  • N.Gowtham Raj
    N.Gowtham Raj
    Yeah.. Thankyou.. But is there any specific procedure to test nonstandard specimens without reducing their dimensions?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Occasionally we had to deal with similar problems in failure analysis of objects. We designed fixtures to hold the specimen in the testing machine in such a way that the fixtures themselves do not introduce any unexpected twist or torque. Using the geometry of the specimen (essentially cross sectional area at different sections perpendicular to the applied stress) stresses at failure were calculated. The report specifies the special nature of the test. The other parameters like rate of traverse etc were maintained as in applicable standards.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

heyy guys......i am preparing for the IITJEE , AIEEE, ISAT exams (if happening separately in 2013)! Our 11th course is almost over and we don't have any books for 12th...
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) is evolving; at least if the recent research is taken into account. Scientists are applying the principles of quantum computing and trying to see if they...
can i get the information of super probe????
Hey if you are looking to buy Playbook Tablet. Then this good news for you... ​Now buy Blackberry Playbook Tablet at $199. And its available in three version models in...