CrazyEngineers
  • Am doing a project on welding, And i am supposed to test the tensile strength and impact strength of the weldment... Bus the thickness which is 4 mm does not match with any of the ASTM standards... How can i test now?? Help me out please....
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • N.Gowtham Raj

MemberDec 19, 2011

I want to test a weldment's tensile and impact characteristics which is of 4mm thick and does not conform to any of the ASTM standards... How do I test now? pls help me out...
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • N.Gowtham Raj

MemberDec 19, 2011

I want to test a weldment's tensile and impact characteristics which is of 4mm thick and does not conform to any of the ASTM standards... How do I test now? pls help me out...
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorDec 19, 2011

Threads merged.
    Cancel
  • N.Gowtham Raj

MemberDec 20, 2011

Some one pls help me out guys...
    Cancel
  • CE Designer

MemberDec 21, 2011

If a standard does not exist, then you can use the figures provided for the next smallest size. I dont get how ASTM standards come in here 👎
    Cancel
  • N.Gowtham Raj

MemberDec 21, 2011

Yeah.. Thankyou.. But is there any specific procedure to test nonstandard specimens without reducing their dimensions?
    Cancel
  • Ramani Aswath

MemberDec 22, 2011

Occasionally we had to deal with similar problems in failure analysis of objects. We designed fixtures to hold the specimen in the testing machine in such a way that the fixtures themselves do not introduce any unexpected twist or torque. Using the geometry of the specimen (essentially cross sectional area at different sections perpendicular to the applied stress) stresses at failure were calculated. The report specifies the special nature of the test. The other parameters like rate of traverse etc were maintained as in applicable standards.
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register