MATLAB - makes life easier for Engineers

Wkipedia Snippet - "MATLAB is a numerical computing environment and programming language. Created by The MathWorks, MATLAB allows easy matrix manipulation, plotting of functions and data, implementation of algorithms, creation of user interfaces, and interfacing with programs in other languages."

Well, all those engineers who dont know what MATLAB is are surely missing something.
I came across this wonderful language when a Prof of ours set us to design a simulator(I thought such a thing was way beyond the reach of third year ECE guys...MATLAB made it easier ..but still we goofed it up.. ). Initially I was skeptic about learning a new "engineering"language (my experience with SPICE,HDL was responsible for this). But the extensive help files , dispelled all my doubts. It is said that you dont need to purchase a book on MATLAB. Indeed true, the tutorial section bundled with the software is a one stop shop where you can get answers to all your queries.

The basic element which can be manipulated in MATLAB is the Matrix. I have always had trouble with arrays in C.But MATLAB removed that roadblock(I guess,this is what they call Object oriented Programming). What is most appealing about MATLAB is thus the fact that it operates on matrices. This makes MATLAB immensely useful for DSP simulations and modelling.

Furthermore, MATLAB 's library is one of the most extensive one I have seen. It contains toolboxes for a myriad of applications ranging from Communications, Aerospace , Signal Processing, Embedded sytems and what not. It even contains toolboxes which allow you to interface easily with other high level programming languages such as Java or simulation tools such as Xilinx. I guess the MATLAB programming environment behaves very much like a Virtual Machine,but I can't bet on the speculation.

I am currently doing a project on "Neural Network based speech compression using wavelet transforms and arithmetic coding" . MATLAB 's extensive library though a boon, has left little for me to do on my own.
All the functions that I intend to write are already present in this MATLABIAN atheneum

Replies

• xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Thanks for the information on MATLAB. There are many here who are interested as there was a previous post about it. Now if its possible for you to write an introductory tutorial on MATLAB then it would be wonderful!

I am giving a presentation on MATLAB this wednesday at my college, and I just might write something at the same time or make a video (extremely less possibility ๐Ÿ˜€ ).

So, if you or anyone here knows matlab, just write a small intro, better if it comes with pictures, and wow if with vidoes ๐Ÿ˜€
  • mastermind303
    mastermind303
    xheavenlyx
    Thanks for the information on MATLAB. There are many here who are interested as there was a previous post about it. Now if its possible for you to write an introductory tutorial on MATLAB then it would be wonderful!

I am giving a presentation on MATLAB this wednesday at my college, and I just might write something at the same time or make a video (extremely less possibility ๐Ÿ˜€ ).

So, if you or anyone here knows matlab, just write a small intro, better if it comes with pictures, and wow if with vidoes ๐Ÿ˜€
    Hey dude, like I said the tutorials by MAthworks are the best.
    If you don't have the full version you can see those tutorials online.
    I will post the link :-

#-Link-Snipped-#

if you have access to original version ,it's well and good!
  • Elisa
    Elisa
    Nice post mastermind. Looking forward to more such posts from you.
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    ๐Ÿ˜€ So true MM303, even in class when they ask we cannot find good book, then I tell them the help file with MATLAB itself is really good, and even the online tutorials by Mathworks itself, there are a few groups too online which provide total basic training!

Excellent, thanks again.

And I think it would be nice if some can post sample codes or ask for help on this thread.
  • Yashoda
    Yashoda
    gr8 mastermind.... M in third yr now....n next semester v hav to work wid Matlab....So think i wud start working on it now itself...At least start exploring it now.... ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    I just gave a presentation on MATLAB in my college, it was great, given that I have nevr spoken unofficially, and even that the students never attended a MATLAB presentation before.

Learn it, it can be pretty handy, and MATLAB mathworks website has a lot of stuff anyway.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Anyone know where I can find good Scilab tutorials? I want to practice MATLAB-stuff at home, so gonna use the free Scilab for that.

xheavenlyx, a video tutorial on MATLAB would be certainly cool! Why not try to do one ๐Ÿ˜€ I believe theres a thread on how to make screencasts somewhere in CE.
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Thanks for the encouragement dude. I will do that the comming week after my project gets a little cool on the tracks, I havent touched it in a while or else my mentor will hang me. ๐Ÿ˜
  • shiwa436
    shiwa436
    your blog is not opening mr. mastermind.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    *bump*

Guys, since we all know how valuable MATLAB is, perhaps we can do a simple project with it? Some kind of analysis or something. If we have programming problem solving on CE, why not have a MATLAB one? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ash
    *bump*

Guys, since we all know how valuable MATLAB is, perhaps we can do a simple project with it? Some kind of analysis or something. If we have programming problem solving on CE, why not have a MATLAB one? ๐Ÿ˜€
    Super. Let us execute a small project on CE ๐Ÿ˜€
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    hi all,
    A project in Matlab... sounds interesting. I do hope it'll be based on image processing.(I'm a bit more acquinted with image processing than other areas of Matlab..)
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    How about image mosaicking using MATLAB? It'll be interesing.. some of us takes a number of shots while turning the camera, and we'll stitch and warp them to make a panoramic image. I think there are some dedicated software out there that do this, but it'll be a good exercise to utilize MATLAB.

A quick and fun project! Then we'll showcase the images ๐Ÿ˜€
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Here is a small image processing example from MATLAB.

%% Block to process RED color. THIS IS A TEST!

RGB = imread('peppers.png'); %Read the image file from any location. This example image will be in your MATLAB folder:

BW = roicolor(RGB(:,:,1),200,255) & roicolor(RGB(:,:,2),0,100) & roicolor(RGB(:,:,3),0,100); %Create a ROI (Region of Interest) in a selected color area. Like Red from 200to255, Green0to100 and Blue0to100 This is the raw basic method, there are many many more ways to find color in an image or in video frames!

subplot(1,2,1), imshow(BW); subplot(1,2,2) , imshow (RGB); %show the original and the ROI based image side by side using 'subplot'.

[โ€‹IMG]
    Original on the Right and Selected red color (in white) on the left.

If anyone can run this and explain it better, I would be greatful ๐Ÿ˜€ Post more examples if you have here.
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    Yes, it's very nice for engineers, but it cuts all the fun for programmers ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    MaRo
    Yes, it's very nice for engineers, but it cuts all the fun for programmers ๐Ÿ˜‰
    You're telling me Matlab is not fun at all? ๐Ÿ˜›

btw, a nice small example, xhx. Hope to see more ๐Ÿ˜€
  • us1903
    us1903
    I have used MATLAB with DSP kits and thanks for the information about it.
  • deepmali
    deepmali
    anyone here knows about wavelet toolbox in matlab?
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Nope sorry, I have personally never worked with it much. They are used mainly in specific subjects.
  • deepmali
    deepmali
    Oh...In case you have any idea about Image Processing using Wavelets,jus tell me
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Wow, now i remember hearing it somewhere. I had a preconceived idea in my head that 'wavelets' are related to "communication" stuff. But its also used for Image Processing as you have reminded me. I will take a look into it.

By then, if you can Google some examples and explanations then please post them here, ok? Try to ๐Ÿ˜€

Something I found in Google on wavelets in Image Processing:

Here is one lecture by #-Link-Snipped-# on this page: #-Link-Snipped-#

Lecture 1: Introduction to Image Processing

#-Link-Snipped-#

MATLAB Scripts - Image processing toolbox used
    Restoration script #-Link-Snipped-#
    Edge detection script #-Link-Snipped-#
    Blurring 8-bit color vs monochrome #-Link-Snipped-#
    Other required scripts #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#,
    Lecture 2: Filtering and Convolution

#-Link-Snipped-#

MATLAB Scripts

Uniform motion blur #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#
    Edge detection #-Link-Snipped-#

Lecture 2.a Fourier Transform

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • deepmali
    deepmali
    Hey thanks! Sure i will post things related to Image processing using wavelets here for thats the project I am currently working on.
  • deepmali
    deepmali
    Hi here is some material related to wavelets and image processing...
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    I'll also try to post things more related to Matlab part of this soon.
  • deepmali
    deepmali
    Hi

Could anyone tell me how to store filenames in array and access filenames(to open the file) if they are stored in an array.
  • Predictor
    Predictor
    deepmali
    Could anyone tell me how to store filenames in array and access filenames(to open the file) if they are stored in an array.
    Though characters can be stored in arrays in MATLAB, it may be easier to store filenames in cell arrays, especially since cell arrays handle items of varying size more naturally than ordinary 2D arrays. Here's an example:
    >> FileNames = cell(4,1);
    >> FileNames{1} = 'COMMAND.COM';
    >> FileNames{3} = 'MODEL.EXE';
    >> FileNames{4} = 'AUTOEXEC.BAT';
    >> FileNames

FileNames =

'COMMAND.COM'
    []
    'MODEL.EXE'
    'AUTOEXEC.BAT'

>> FileNames{1}

ans =

COMMAND.COM
    โ€‹
    Try help cell for more information.

-Will Dwinnell
    Data Mining in MATLAB
  • rohitha
    rohitha
    hey not opening
  • amandeepk
    amandeepk
    hiiii
    I need matlab coding on gabor and wavelet filters for my thesis work.please suggest me some pdfs and tutorial for that

thanks and regards
    aman
  • tashirosgt
    tashirosgt
    Who can do a comparison of MATLAB with the free work-alike software called Octave? #-Link-Snipped-#
  • karishmavalecha
    karishmavalecha
    Hi all,

Can someone please help me. I need to buy the matlab software in dubai. Does anybody know where is it sold? Or it is available to download in some sites. Are these trustable?
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    You can buy it online at: #-Link-Snipped-#

Its safe these days but just make sure you run a through virus scan before the transaction and do it from your home PC. Anyway, which university are you studying in?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    xheavenlyx
    You can buy it online at: #-Link-Snipped-#

Its safe these days but just make sure you run a through virus scan before the transaction and do it from your home PC. Anyway, which university are you studying in?
    What the fish! Extremely rare xhx sighting!!

Welcome back mate ๐Ÿ˜›
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Haha! Surprise! Yea, its been a while ๐Ÿ˜

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i wanna know about the softwares which can convert the text files into RTF format, in number of thousends. i have tried many of them, but didn't get any suitable...
Dear CE members, As we all know EMbedded system is growing on a fast pace.I am intrested in stepping in this feld.SO..what are the skills required for this field? PLz...
Big K will hate me for this thread. ๐Ÿ˜ I'm starting this cool thread right now ๐Ÿ˜!
Question originally posted by CEan Mahen_raj_singh in our CE Conference ๐Ÿ˜€ - Why the USB doesn't support the windows98 edition? Anyone wants to answer this? -The Big K-
san anyaone get me the PHP script for this site www.thegooglepagerank.com/