Make your gadgets secure against any threat!!

I want to share a very bad incidence which happened with me in 2013. While staying in Pune, during my absence (I was in office), someone theft my laptop and Camera from my room (Yeah I locked it properly). I was staying in a PG!!
I reported the incidence to Police. They asked me submit various documents related to Laptop (Purchasing invoice etc.).
I was also asked whether I had any antivirus, but unfortunately, in my machine, the antivirus expired 2 days back from the day it was stolen. I was handed over a FIR copy!! They have asked me what is the IP address of the system. The question went unanswered at that time.

What I did from my end is, I called antivirus company's customer care, and fortunately, after giving unique product ID (which I got while purchasing the antivirus), they were able to provide the IP address. I gave the same to Police.

I was/am/will be pretty confident that, my chances of getting my laptop back is one divided by infinity.

Now I request everyone to pitch in to add some more thoughts/ideas/precautions so that members do not face this type of situation in future. And even if they face, what should be done at that time.
I am giving few based on my experience.
1. Please make sure you keep various unique identification numbers of your laptop with you written in your notebook.
2. Please install any antivirus which has "Laptop tracking facility". I guess QuickHeal does this. Please correct me if I am wrong.
3. Secure Your Computer With a BIOS or UEFI Password.

Same applied to mobile phones!!

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Thats definitely Great idea to share incredible tips. thanks.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I logged in to CE today to contribute something since contributions my end because absolute last year, SO instead of I am back or some other posts i think this...
I just want to ask that if the scheduling algorithm by JRE is priority scheduling since the threads are executed on the basis of their priority ,then is time slicing...
Quote: NeuroMetrix, Inc. (Nasdaq: NURO) will unveil and demonstrate Quell, a novel wearable pain relief device at the 2015 International Consumer Electronics show (CES) January 6-9 in Las Vegas. Quell...
Hi all... Need some guidance regarding cdac Dvlsi course.. My C-CAT Rank is 770 and 327 mems are above my rank for dvlsi.. Can I expect admission in CDAC PUNE?...
Google researchers have went ahead and posted details about a Windows 8.1 vulnerability after the 90 days deadline it gave to Microsoft ended just days before new year eve. Google’s...