Location of expansion joint in residential apartment

Dear Engineers
I am in an apartment in Tambaram ,Chennai, India. In my apartment the expansion joint runs in the middle of the house ie in between the living room and dining room. This gap looks like a crack in the wall , ceiling and floor. Though the builder has concealed this in the wall and ceiling by doing some interior wood work , the gap in the floor looks ugly and become store house for ants. It widens in the summer and shrinks in the winter . Sometime back during rainy season water was leaking. but the builder had put some aluminium sheet in the roof and somehow leaking has stopped ( don't know permanent or temporary)
This is 4 storeyed building . There are y 12 houses are having such problem

My concerns are

1) Is it advisable / recommended such expansion joint in the middle of the house? I want to know is it a good design?

2) If not recommended how to shift? or how to over come leakage and the widening gaps in order to avoid becoming store house of ants?

3) Have the engineers come across such expansion joint in the middle of the house anywhere in the world?

4) What kind compensation the builder should provide if it not a good design to have such expansion joint in the middle of the house.?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    1. You should have been told before you signed on the dotted line and a signed consent from you should have been obtained. Technically I think that there may be no issues. (I may be wrong. I am not a Civil Engineer)
    2. You can tell the seller to give you another place failing which you may go in for a legal recompense. It is a simple matter to seal this joint yet take care of expansion/contraction. Room Temperature Vulcanizing (RTV) Silicones are widely used for this kind of jobs. They are extremely elastic, totally safe, Non reactive to any acid or alkali and very suitable for joining masonry surfaces. Very commonly used by service companies in the West. Freely available in India. Best to apply when the gap is maximum. Can be a do it yourself job, or you can get a contractor to do it.
    After setting the cement has an elasticity of nearly 300%, which means that you can forget about its coming off or getting crushed. The ste cement is nearly transparent and not obtrusive.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

GE, Anabond and other makes are also available in India at various locations.

The advantage with RTV sealants is that it is a single component product which sets by the moisture present in the air. One should be careful not to step on the cement for at least 24 hours after application.

However, this solution will work only when the gap is small and the variation from minimum to maximum is also within limits. Otherwise one may have to fix a suitable flexible running gasket material (preferably silicone rubber). This again is available in India from various sources.

3. Such expansion joints are not uncommon. Special precautions regarding carpeting and such are given in such instances.

4. Depends on the terms and conditions of the purchase. As far as I know there is no structural danger. (Again, I am no expert)
  • balurk
    balurk
    A.V.Ramani
    1. You should have been told before you signed on the dotted line and a signed consent from you should have been obtained. Technically I think that there may be no issues. (I may be wrong. I am not a Civil Engineer)
    2. You can tell the seller to give you another place failing which you may go in for a legal recompense. It is a simple matter to seal this joint yet take care of expansion/contraction. Room Temperature Vulcanizing (RTV) Silicones are widely used for this kind of jobs. They are extremely elastic, totally safe, Non reactive to any acid or alkali and very suitable for joining masonry surfaces. Very commonly used by service companies in the West. Freely available in India. Best to apply when the gap is maximum. Can be a do it yourself job, or you can get a contractor to do it.
    After setting the cement has an elasticity of nearly 300%, which means that you can forget about its coming off or getting crushed. The ste cement is nearly transparent and not obtrusive.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

GE, Anabond and other makes are also available in India at various locations.

The advantage with RTV sealants is that it is a single component product which sets by the moisture present in the air. One should be careful not to step on the cement for at least 24 hours after application.

However, this solution will work only when the gap is small and the variation from minimum to maximum is also within limits. Otherwise one may have to fix a suitable flexible running gasket material (preferably silicone rubber). This again is available in India from various sources.

3. Such expansion joints are not uncommon. Special precautions regarding carpeting and such are given in such instances.

4. Depends on the terms and conditions of the purchase. As far as I know there is no structural danger. (Again, I am no expert)
    Thanks Mr Ramani. U have thrown more light on this grey subject.
    Regards
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    hello Sir,

This is the first time i am hearing that the expansion joint running inside the flat. Did your contract/agreement says anything about the expansion joint in the middle of the flat. Also i am curious to know about the length of your apartment.

If your builder was already disclosed this expansion joint in the agreement. Please check the below link, whether they comply with this standard.

#-Link-Snipped-#

It should be completely sealed. If any water leakage is there it will lead a serious issue in the concrete slab. Water seepage will easily corrode the reinforcement.

balurk
    Dear Engineers
    I am in an apartment in Tambaram ,Chennai, India. In my apartment the expansion joint runs in the middle of the house ie in between the living room and dining room. This gap looks like a crack in the wall , ceiling and floor. Though the builder has concealed this in the wall and ceiling by doing some interior wood work , the gap in the floor looks ugly and become store house for ants. It widens in the summer and shrinks in the winter . Sometime back during rainy season water was leaking. but the builder had put some aluminium sheet in the roof and somehow leaking has stopped ( don't know permanent or temporary)
    This is 4 storeyed building . There are y 12 houses are having such problem

My concerns are

1) Is it advisable / recommended such expansion joint in the middle of the house? I want to know is it a good design?

2) If not recommended how to shift? or how to over come leakage and the widening gaps in order to avoid becoming store house of ants?

3) Have the engineers come across such expansion joint in the middle of the house anywhere in the world?

4) What kind compensation the builder should provide if it not a good design to have such expansion joint in the middle of the house.?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Google has been on it when it comes to wearables but it has not been successful yet. Its ambitious Project Glass failed to take off and ever since then the...
Hi all, I'm converting a mobile home bedroom into a recording studio. I'm building a room within a room for sound isolation. Right now, I'm down to studs and subfloor....
@Aishwarya Ganesh Could you share the difference between: TIN Number & DIN Number, VAT, TAN, PAN and DSC.
According to philosophers and scientists alike, arguably the most fascinating way to experience the past is to stare at the numerous stars in the night sky, that twinkle to let...
Hi Friends, In the midst of all the epic challenges we face daily, a bunch of us friends took the time to shoot a short film. The shooting went on...