Load bearing to column-based structure

Hi, we hav started our construction recently with load bearing method and the foundation work is just got completed. But now due to some reasons we want to convert this to column based. Please provide your inputs on how this could be possible.
Thanks,
Sem

Replies

• rithesh salian
    rithesh salian
    semmalar
    Hi, we hav started our construction recently with load bearing method and the foundation work is just got completed. But now due to some reasons we want to convert this to column based. Please provide your inputs on how this could be possible.
    Thanks,
    Sem
    Nothing to worry ,
    One of the solution is:-
    U lay a plinth beam above the foundation with the dowels for columns , so that it works as a future column
    But please confirm with your structural consultant prior to laying.
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    semmalar
    Thanks,
    Sem
    May i know the reason for changing Load bearing structure to Framed structure?.
    If you are going to construct more than 1 floor. Load bearing structure is not preferrable.
    There are many methods to replace the LB to framed structure.
    Can you explain briefly? Unless i dont know whether my answer is suitable for your query
  • semmalar
    semmalar
    KSS manian
    If you are going to construct more than 1 floor. Load bearing structure is not preferrable.
    Can you explain briefly? Unless i dont know whether my answer is suitable for your query
    Hi Manian,
    Thanks for your reply! I actually wanted to go for a nature/eco-friendly and traditional house construction and finalized a contractor. Basically, they are maintaining a trust and promoting old and traditional ways of construction. I visited some of they projects and was convinced. So we got started with the work. This contractor only supports load bearing construction and they do not take up any projects of the usual type. But, not I started hearing from a lot of people that this is not good and I should change my decision. I also referred to the web for a comparison, and majority suggest column and pillar-based structure. Also, our plan is ground floor + 2 floors in future. But our contractor says that load bearing structure can easily support G+2 floors. Please help me with a solution. I have kept the construction work on hold.
    Thanks,
    Sem
  • semmalar
    semmalar
    KSS manian
    KSS manian
    KSS manian
    rithu_195
    Nothing to worry ,
    One of the solution is:-
    U lay a plinth beam above the foundation with the dowels for columns , so that it works as a future column
    But please confirm with your structural consultant prior to laying.
    Hi Rithu,

Thanks for your suggestion! Can you please explain a little details on how exactly we can lay plinth beam above foundation? The foundation as of now has been raised to close to 3 ft above ground level including plith beam and plinth wall. The plinth wall PCC is also done and the foundation is tight-packed now. Please share your ideas.

Regards,
    Semmalar
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    semmalar
    Hi Manian,
    Thanks for your reply! I actually wanted to go for a nature/eco-friendly and traditional house construction and finalized a contractor. Basically, they are maintaining a trust and promoting old and traditional ways of construction. I visited some of they projects and was convinced. So we got started with the work. This contractor only supports load bearing construction and they do not take up any projects of the usual type. But, not I started hearing from a lot of people that this is not good and I should change my decision. I also referred to the web for a comparison, and majority suggest column and pillar-based structure. Also, our plan is ground floor + 2 floors in future. But our contractor says that load bearing structure can easily support G+2 floors. Please help me with a solution. I have kept the construction work on hold.
    Thanks,
    Sem
    1. Without digging and disturbing the existing LB structure & foundation you cant construct the concrete footing with column.
    2. Lets us take minimum 6 columns with isolated footing. The size and depth is depend upon the soil bearing capacity.
    3. After construct the new foundations and columns, connect the columns using plinth beam(grade beam) at 3ft from the G.L.
    4. Over the plilnth start the super structure.
    Now the FFL is the plinth top.
  • rithesh salian
    rithesh salian
    semmalar
    Hi Rithu,

Thanks for your suggestion! Can you please explain a little details on how exactly we can lay plinth beam above foundation? The foundation as of now has been raised to close to 3 ft above ground level including plith beam and plinth wall. The plinth wall PCC is also done and the foundation is tight-packed now. Please share your ideas.

Regards,
    Semmalar
    u need to chip of the plinth beam with the PCC @ those locations where ur column will come upto the development length of the reinforcement and then lay the fresh concrete .

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

enum a cute data type in java to declare our own data type values Why It Can't Be declared inside the Method ..................Why we Have to declare that inside the...
Sandisk CFast 2.0 Extreme Fast memory card is world's fastest and it's can write the bits at hair blowing 350 MB/s and retrieve them at 450 MB/s. These memory cards...
Below is a situation I have two database table 1: Posts 2: Recent Watched Now What I want is whenever user visits a certain post of mine, then it will...
Hi CEans, I had came over lots of places where I found that Women are more expressive about their thoughts,views,perceptions,etc. I want to stir up a debate on this topic...
Hewlett Packard or HP has recently launched its latest laptop the Chromebook 14 which will be known for featuring the 4th generation Dual-Core 1.1 GHz Intel Haswell processor. Alongside HP...