Live Event Coverage : TieCon Nagpur

CEans,

I'm currently at the TieCon conference @ Hotel Sun-n-Sand, Nagpur. This is going to be a two day event with many distinguished speakers from all parts of India are coming. The keynote will be delivered shortly by Mr. Gururaj (Desh) Deshpande -

[FONT="]Gururaj β€œDesh” Deshpande is an influential entrepreneur and visionary with a proven track record of translating innovative technologies into successful businesses. From next-generation networking to state-of-the-art lithium-ion batteries, Dr. Deshpande’s initiatives have reshaped industries and inspired a new generation of entrepreneurs.[/FONT]
[FONT="]
A council was set up to support President Obama's innovation strategy by helping to develop policies that foster entrepreneurship and identifying new ways to take great ideas from the lab to the marketplace to drive economic growth and create jobs in July 2010. Deshpande co-chairs this council along with Mary Sue Coleman, President of the University of Michigan and Steve Case co-founder of AOL.

Your comments, questions are all welcome in this discussion.

[/FONT]

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Met students from VNIT who're here to attend TieCon. Good to see students interested in entrepreneurship. We're about 50+ attendees here so far. The ambiance is nice but I won't really have a plug point to connect my laptop to. Hope this battery will last longer 😁
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The even started at exactly 10:00 am. Mr. Prashant Godbole delivered the introductory speech and talked about innovative entrepreneurship. Gurujaj Deshpande has taken over the stage and congratulated the creators of presentation and introductory video of TiE Nagpur 2011.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Desh's speech: -

Life's is a series of accidents. Desh wanted to be a professor, did his graduation in electrical engineering. In 1984, Desh was in Torento, Desh realized that apart from doing PhD, he could build companies. There was no venture capital in Torento. He said that only Boston and California were the only two places in the world where the concept of Venture Capital exists.

Those who know 'too much' don't do things. Somtimes being smart is not a great thing. If you think about the risks - you'll be scared an never start your own company. When starting up the odds are against you.

The VCs then would write cheques of about 3-4 million dollars only if you were without a salary for at least 1 year - because they needed to be very sure. Fortunately, Desh and his partner got funded.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Desh on India -

India''s done lot of great work in IT services. But no company in India produces any kind of technology. Tejas Networks now handles most of the Network in India and every 3/4 phone call made in India goes through Tejas Networks. Tejas is now present in 100 countries through its partners.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Question answer session:

1. How Important is education to being successful entrepreneur. - By IIT Mumbai 2010 Graduate.

Desh: Education is not important as such. Most successful entrepreneurs haven't been to school. If you want to be entrepreneur you'll have to know nothing about everything [K: I didn't get this point, frankly]. The biggest point you need to understand is 'Common Sense' [ Woa!]
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Author of Connect The Dots and Stay Hungry Stay Foolish, Rashmi Bansal has just entered and occupied a seat in the front row. I'm here in the third 😁
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Question by IT company owner in Nagpur, Ajay Dhande -

How important is funding to grow a company?

Desh: IF you can bootstrap - funding isn't important. But if you are addressing a larger market, you'll need funding. Especially in high growth market. It's similar to climbing a hill. If you're climbing a big hill, you'll need lot of resources.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Desh continues... every entrepreneur thinks that he/she's got a great idea. People easily give up when things are hard. Entrepeneurs need lot of hard work and conviction to peruse ideas. You should know when to give up on ideas.

Advise to all entrepreneurs: Set up deadlines. Get mentorship from TiE can help someone observe your company and get you better idea.

PS: I don't personally agree with Desh's points here. 😁
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Question by professor from RKNEC -

Q. How to inspire engineering students to take up entrepreneurship?

Desh: It's more dificult to inspire professors than students. [Everyone laughs]. Shares the experiment Desh's philanthropic arm did in Hubli India to motivate studetns to take up entrepreneurship. The idea is to let students loose and work on their own ideas. At MIT (Boston) they let the students to come together and start a club or venture. Then the government at MIT monitors them.

In India, students shouldn't only memorize and reproduce the things. Thinking original ideas is VERY important.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Desh continues the discussion: You need someon 'crazyness' to start something. Typically control freak entrepreneurs don't let their companies grow (because then things grow out of their control).

PS: Great point! Big learning for me! πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Question: How to Scale Fast?

Whatever ideas that you're working on should be 'Small', but have a BIG vision. Because when you start you don't have resources. Cut down the problems and tasks and tackle simple problems. Point: Start small, think big!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    How to design Mission & Vision? - By Rahul Bagdia of pManifold

Everyone made fun on 'CISCO' brand when the company started, but now things have changed. Mission & Vision statements will fall into place over a period of time. Don't worry too much about it.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Whoa! This is awesome.
    I am loving the concept of Live Blogging.

It's almost like I am present at that event. Great Job Biggie!

PS: I would like to know what Ms. Rashmi Bansal would speak. 😁
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    It seems like Biggie's Laptop Battery is down.

I hope he finds a charging point soon. πŸ˜€
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    nice coverage biggie 😁 πŸ‘

AbraKaDabra
    Whoa!
    I would like to know what Ms. Rashmi Bansal would speak. 😁
    Me too! 😁 i'm going to attend an entrepreneurship summit this saturday along with my sis. πŸ˜€ and one of the guest speakers with whom i really want to interact is rashmi bansal! 😁 excited. πŸ˜€
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Superb Coverage! Well Done Biggie 😁
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Darn!!

I lost Internet connection and there was NOT A SINGLE POWER POINT where I could plug my laptop to charge it! I couldn't get anything to bring you the live updates. But I'll inform you in brief about the rest of the event.

After Dr. Gururaj Deshpand's keynote, there was a break of about 5 minutes and the next session continued with Ms. Rashmi Bansal moderating a panel discussion on 'Small Is Beautiful'. Mrs. Khandalgaonkar spoke about her bio-gas innovations in rural areas, which received standing ovation from the audience. Then followed more discussions and Lunch Break.

Post Lunch Break, there was a session by Prof. Nandini Vaidyanathan who spoke about mentoring and shared interesting experiences of mentoring entrepreneurs. It was followed by an address by Mr. Ashwin Abhyankar.

We then had a brief coffee break and followed experience sharing by Mr. Anurag Batra of Exchange4Media which was very entertaining. The day was concluded by Dr. Anand Deshpande of Persistent Systems sharing his views on growing a company to a large scale.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I like this type of coverage! Good work!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The TieCon organizers have noticed this coverage and informed me that they'll make special arrangements from next TieCon. They liked the coverage.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, I’m currently at the TieCon Nagpur to cover the live updates from the event. I’ve just entered the venue, Hotel Sun-N-Sand at Nagpur, India. The event will be covered...
hello! i'm lalyn,,πŸ˜›,, i don't know what to say..!! umm, i'm glad to be here! thanks to the encouragement of the cean of the month of january 2011, maria flor!...
hello guys, i want to know the basics of Assembly Language, how can i learn about its basic registers needed in Assembly Language. Please tell me from where i have...
Recently I saw 'Buried'. All I could say in awe of the movie is Simplicity and Economy. Easily one of the best Low Budget movies, Excellent!!😎
If Not see chromeexperiments.com If already seen post your favourite one: Mine is:20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web