Listening to Big Bang - This may well be a multiverse!

Quote:
For six months each year, the perennially dark and wind-swept plains of the southern polar ice cap have an average temperature of about 58 degrees Fahrenheit below zero. In summer, when the sun returns for its six-month-long day, the glacial terrain hardly becomes more inviting, with temperatures climbing to minus 20 degrees. Not the kind of place most of us would choose to visit.
But if you’re an astronomer seeking a collection of photons that have been streaming toward us since just after the Big Bang, then the South Pole’s Dark Sector Laboratory is what the Met is to opera or Yankee Stadium to baseball. It’s the premier place to practice your trade. With the coldest and driest air on earth, the atmosphere lets photons travel virtually unimpeded, providing the sharpest terrestrial-based space images ever taken.
Endquote

Listening to the Big Bang | Science| Smithsonian Magazine

We ordinary mortals, who cannot listen to the Big Bang can listen to this twenty minute talk about this:

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Quote: WHETHER YOU ARE A HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT, SCIENCE MAJOR IN COLLEGE OR A LIFELONG LEARNER, WORLD SCIENCE U IS WHERE YOU CAN EXPLORE THE WONDERS OF SCIENCE GUIDED BY...
Today at 9:58 PM, earthquake of Richter scale 5.8 rattled eastern India. the epicenter was somewhere in Bay of Bangal. Earthquake tremors were felt at Bihar's Gaya, Patna, Ranchi, Jamshedpur...
Hello...i am jaenetha from malaysia,i need to do major project for my final year project.I need any creative idea.
A team of engineers from the University of Texas at Austin has developed a new machine called 'The Nanomotor' that is the smallest (1/500th times the size of a grain...