Linux (ubuntu) powered Dell desktop in India

Howdy folks!

I'm wondering if one can order a unix (ubuntu) powered Dell Desktop in India. I don't see any option on their website. ๐Ÿ˜”

What are the other brand/options I have if I don't want to pay for VISTA?

Replies

• shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    I don't know whether you have checked such sites or not #-Link-Snipped-# - may be of some help to you. Well, I guess official sites always recommend for Vista only.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm looking for Desktop!
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Lenovo has desktops that come witout Windows. They have FreeDOS or something similar on them. You can install Whichever flavour of Ubuntu you like on it!!

lenovo IdeaCenter K220 - 53583FQ
    Cost is around 30k
    Here is the link : #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @Mad: Yep, I already searched their website. Looks to be a good deal. I'm not sure of the overall quality of the Lenovo desktops though.

Have you used them?

Do you think HP desktops are overpriced? ๐Ÿ˜
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    My father uses a lenovo desktop (one with FreeDOS). He's pretty happy with it. He uses it for surfing, playing flash games, video chat and stuff. Nothing to make it break into a sweat. I haven't had a chance to "exploit" the bugger. But I'm sure it'll give me decent performance. It has a 2.6 something GHz Dual Core Intel proc, 2GB RAM. Onboard graphics share upto 256MB of RAM.

Regarding HP desktops, I am not sure. I have a HP laptop, which I quite like. Its given me faithful service despite the fact that I've been harsh on it, to say the least.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ๐Ÿ˜

I guess you can get it shipped

DELL UBUNTU 8.04 Desktops.

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Not sure if it's available for India ๐Ÿ˜€ .
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Dude, if you want a desktop, assemble one. Its cheaper and its simpler + no Vista ๐Ÿ˜€

And no Dell doesnt ship out with Ubuntu powered desktops in India :-(

Try Compaq machines, I think they ship-out with non-Vista
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Assembling a PC seems to be the best option. I'm working on it. Right now, I'm in need of a bigger screen. 21" is what I want ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    I would recommend you pick up the latest issue of Chip in case you go in for an assembled PC. They give the approx prices of (assembled) PCs including individual components. The PCs are divided according to the use, i.e. gaming, home theater,etc. You can mix and match the components you want/like and ask your local dealer for the updated price.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thanks, Mad!

I'll look into it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

there is a query in my mind is it possible to design a cell phone with a small interpretor fit inside which can convert the languages. for example suppose i'm...
Which is better webmining or grid computing to do a project, ? I am interested in both. But want to know which one has good value in software field.
Wrote a sudoku solver. It does solve some sudokus (may be "easy" level) but gets stuck while solving few sudokus giving user multiple options for one cell and continues if...
Here i am going to show some Crop Circle images... among them mostly are really puzzle for scientist who made it? no one knows i read one article on that...
Hey CEans how many of you are aware of the listings of the India Budget 09-10.. Among great expectations Pranab Mukherjee, Finance Minister of Congress 2 released the budget that...