Linux OS installation issues

I have lenovo G580 machine. I've been trying to install linux as secondary os... But i couldn't able install linux as secondary... ie., i have partitioned 450gb for windows and 50gb for linux. When i try to install it., the linux overwrite the windows. Then i tried this way, first installed linux, then tried to install windows... There i couldn't even get the space partitioned for windows.!!! Could anyone pls help me...

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Okay, you gotta tell us a few things that will help us understand the problem better and offer meaningful replies. Which flavour of Linux are you installing? What method you're using (GUI or Command Line) to install Linux.

How are you partitioning your HDD and how is your partition allocation at the time of installation of Linux?

PS: Also - which version of Windows do you have installed on the machine?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Are you using any software for partitioning the HDD

Is there any Blue screen error when you are trying to install the second OS ?
    Is the partition visible when you see from the installed OS?
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    Best install first windows keep one partition of best 100gb for linux, after windows installation go for linux.
    Select manual partition or other partition method, select the 100 gb partition you left for linux click on it and create root/, boot, home and swap partitions dont go for installing linux alongside windows and let linux be the bootloader.
    Please mention the type of linux.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think we should wait for #-Link-Snipped-# to clarify the setup first. I remember Windows 7 or Vista (not sure) required that Windows to be installed first and then uBuntu gets installed later. I think it was just way the operating systems handle disk space.
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think we should wait for #-Link-Snipped-# to clarify the setup first. I remember Windows 7 or Vista (not sure) required that Windows to be installed first and then uBuntu gets installed later. I think it was just way the operating systems handle disk space.
    Yes I agree let him tell his issue clearly but I have tried installing windows after ubuntu, but I was not able to or allowed to create ntfs partitons for windows, but then I went for windows 1st
  • Nikumbh
    Nikumbh
    Yes i've tried first windows 7 installed, then linuxmint/ubuntu(tried both) next. But i couldn't able to install. The linux seeks full hard disk... ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Nikumbh
    Yes i've tried first windows 7 installed, then linuxmint/ubuntu(tried both) next. But i couldn't able to install. The linux seeks full hard disk... ๐Ÿ˜”
    I think you are not doing the partitioning right way. In Windows 7, ensure that you've shrunk the drive properly leaving about 60 GB of free disk space for uBuntu installation.

Once this step is done, you should boot your machine with uBuntu live CD. There's a nice utility called gParted in uBuntu that should help you with the partitioning. In the free space, create an unformatted partition and add some label to it - say Linux-uBuntu. You could keep the size of this partition to about 15-20 GB. If you wish to setup your uBuntu media files in the same partition, you can make it occupy all of the free space (all 60 GB).

Now exit and begin uBuntu installation like you'd do earlier. At this time, select the Linux-uBuntu partition and create the '/' mount point. Rest of the installation should proceed fine.

Tagging #-Link-Snipped-# for additional / advance help. He won't like others helping with uBuntu issues ๐Ÿ˜.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    - You have 500 GB HD, Allot 400 GB for Win & Create another 100 GB for Linux. (Both will be NTFS atm)
    - Now install Win in 400 GB Partition.
    - Now insert Linux bootable pendrive/disk.
    - When installation options pops, select "manual"
    - Now, you'll be able to see the partitions of your 500 GB HD.
    There is 100 GB allotted space which is NTFS right now. Delete it!
    - Now you can see free space of 100 GB.
    Click on it & create partitions :
    /boot : 300 MB
    / : 30-35 GB
    /home : 55GB (The more the better, depends upon the user though)
    swap area : 2x size than that of RAM. (eg : My RAM is 1 GB then 2 GB of swap area)

As you have one HD, bootloader will select 500 GB HD only. So, click on Next & proceed the installation.

Still unable to understand ? Mint is Ubuntu derivative, so installation is same, hence check this out : How To Dual-Boot Windows & Any Linux OS (With Pictures)./
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [quote="Kaustubh Katdare, post: 289286, member: 1"Tagging #-Link-Snipped-# for additional / advance help. He won't like others helping with uBuntu issues ๐Ÿ˜.[/quote]
    I think I should start posting about Fedora based OS now. Or maybe arch-based OS ๐Ÿ‘€
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    Nikumbh
    Go manual partitioning in linux
    check this:
  • Nikumbh
    Nikumbh
    Hi everyone,

I'm trying to install ubuntu using windows installer. However I'm unable to install the ubuntu 12.04 version....
    I've mentioned the error report(the part which shows where exactly exception happens) below........

Could anyone please fix this issue......... Well thanks, in advance........[โ€‹IMG]

>>stdout=
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "\lib\wubi\backends\common\tasklist.py", line 197, in __call__
      File "\lib\wubi\backends\win32\backend.py", line 697, in modify_bcd
      File "\lib\wubi\backends\common\utils.py", line 66, in run_command
    Exception: Error executing command
    >>command=C:\Windows\sysnative\bcdedit.exe /set {79ff4099-8ac0-11e2-b41e-fdff9af8be3b} device partition=G:
    >>retval=1
    >>stderr=An error has occurred setting the element data.

The request is not supported.

>>stdout=
    08-14 09:33 DEBUG  TaskList: # Cancelling tasklist
    08-14 09:33 DEBUG  TaskList: New task modify_bcd
    08-14 09:33 ERROR  root: Error executing command
    >>command=C:\Windows\sysnative\bcdedit.exe /set {79ff4099-8ac0-11e2-b41e-fdff9af8be3b} device partition=G:
    >>retval=1

>>stdout=
      File "\lib\wubi\application.py", line 58, in run
      File "\lib\wubi\application.py", line 132, in select_task
      File "\lib\wubi\application.py", line 158, in run_installer
    >>retval=1

The request is not supported
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Sorry but wubi is not recommended.
    I suggest to partition your HD & dual-boot rather than using wubi.
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    Nikumbh
    Hi everyone,

I'm trying to install ubuntu using windows installer. However I'm unable to install the ubuntu 12.04 version....
    I've mentioned the error report(the part which shows where exactly exception happens) below........

Could anyone please fix this issue......... Well thanks, in advance........[โ€‹IMG]

>>stdout=
    >>retval=1

>>stdout=
    08-14 09:33 DEBUG  TaskList: # Cancelling tasklist
    08-14 09:33 DEBUG  TaskList: New task modify_bcd
    08-14 09:33 ERROR  root: Error executing command
    >>retval=1

>>stdout=
      File "\lib\wubi\application.py", line 58, in run
      File "\lib\wubi\application.py", line 132, in select_task
      File "\lib\wubi\application.py", line 158, in run_installer
    >>retval=1

The request is not supported
    Try this:Boot-Repair - Community Help Wiki

Worked for me along with Windows 7
  • Nikumbh
    Nikumbh
    @#-Link-Snipped-# : I've tried formatting and installing dual os on my HD. But it doesn't work.......
    @#-Link-Snipped-# : I'm facing problem in installing, not in booting linux os.

If any guidance using to windows installer would be very helpful and appreciable.

Anyways thank you very much guys, for your response......๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ‘Ž
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    @#-Link-Snipped-# It does works buddy. It ain't rocket science.
  • Nikumbh
    Nikumbh
    @#-Link-Snipped-# : I've tried from the core for HD dual os installation. But ubuntu/linuxmint both occupies the full HD. I tried both combinations like Windows 7 + Ubuntu/linuxmint, Ubuntu/linuxmint + Windows 7. That's why I came to use windows installer.๐Ÿ‘€
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    While installation there comes option called 'Something else' click on it & then manually partition the Linux in your desired space. By doing so, the Linux OS won't occupy entire space.
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    Abhishek Rawal
    While installation there comes option called 'Something else' click on it & then manually partition the Linux in your desired space. By doing so, the Linux OS won't occupy entire space.
    This procedure is correct, I follow this everytime.

@#-Link-Snipped-#: Better give a try in virtual box or vmware for the same as above, see what you get there or try what Abhishek says

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We love to talk about how education system is flawed and how it needs to be fixed immediately. I think more than the education system, what needs to be fixed...
Everyone loves WhatsApp and now you won't feel 'less equipped' than your friends using other rival messaging services like Line, Viber, WeChat etc. WhatsApp is getting push to talk voice...
Hola CEans, I think all of you should set your alert preferences so that you don't miss on any important activity of the forum. This is the easiest way to...
Yahoo's one of the forgotten companies that is trying to reinvent itself with the help of new top executive - ex. Googler Marissa Mayer. Ms. Mayer's out shopping and has...
Microsoft, the software giant, has announced its product - Microsoft Office 365 University in India for both full-time and part-time students of accredited colleges and universities. Targetting thousands of colleges...