Lightning Attack Through Mobile......

Can lightning make any harm while we are talking, using mobile phones, on us..?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Frankly speaking I don't know. Common sense says it shouldn't make a difference.

Any special reason why you want to discuss this topic?
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Is there any harm due to lightning on functioning of mobile phones? I am talking about a situation when the lightning strikes very close(not close enough to vaporize the user.). Can it be harmful in any way? I want communication and electronics members to answer this question.
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    Ok..now we have heard quite a few instances of lightning striking people on beaches during a thuderstorm. As aj_onduty said we are talking about a situation where lightning strikes really close to a cell-phone user. When a call is on, the EM waves are not of the order of megawatts to attract lightning to the user. Also most cell-phone antennas are MICROSTRIP antennas which are dielectric in nature so they don't conduct easily. Lightning could strike a cell-phone tower maybe because of the very directional nature of the antennas but not a cell-phone. But mostly during a thunderstorm if the air is so heavily charged I bet signal strength will be affected. So I suggest use your cel-phone indoors.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Thank you for the information shreyasm89
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I doubt it'll pose a risk for the user.. but with regards to the phone itself, the fact that it can have a receive sensitivity of -100 dBm or more, its possible it can be susceptible to damage from a lightning strike nearby. Theoretically 😛
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    @ash- you are right buddy!😀....Anyways the phone has to be very sensitive to adapt to changing signal strengths.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Name: ShriRam Soni *Engineering Trade: Computer Engineer currently into Project Management Location: Pune, India *Occupation: Working as Project Management for Software developments Work Experience:10 years *Hobbies & Interests: Games, *Aim...
Hi....!!!! Some one interested in building simple but cooooool robots.... plz do help me....!!! I wanna get robo kits to save my hobby from being extinct....!!!! Can you suggest some....!!!...
hii.. guys I'm about to start my final year of computer science ad engineering ... I am thinking about doing a project based on ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE..or ROBOTICS.. please suggest me...
I am a newbie in this and would like to know about trading stocks where you can earn huge profits (as I have read online).I have been looking for an...
I'm a 4th year student in Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering field and I have an idea to design a virtual graphics tablet as my final year project. The idea is...