Laptop Overheating Problem, Please help :(

Dear Engineers, I'm facing a laptop overheating problem. the problem details:

- the laptop shuts down automatically after some while of hard processing (e.g. matlab , antivirus);
- the fan seems to run so fast and so loud.
- the problem appears only with AC power, and does not occurred with Battery.
- Phoenix Bios setting has the option "Battery Setting optimization" set to "Battery life",
and there is no option for the performance of AC power!!.

- SpeedFan SW has been installed to monitor the temperature. it records 4 temperatures (GPU,HDD, Core,temp1):

windows starting(AC or Battery):
GPU : 55C
HD0:33C
Temp1:36C
Core:38C

Processing (Battery)
GPU : 58C
HD0:37C
Temp1:45C
Core:45C

Processing (AC) - before sudden shutdown
GPU : 76C
HD0:38C
Temp1:96C
Core:89C

(Balanced power strategy is used:
Minimum processor state : 5% (both AC and Battery)
Maximum processor state: 100% (both AC and Battery)
System cooling policy:
On Battery😛assive
Plugged in:Active
)

Can any body help what is causing this problem and how to solve it or protect the pc from this overheating.​

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Thread moved to Help Section.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Difficult to guess. Did it start overheating recently or it's been like that ever since you bought it? What brand is it?

Did you try taking out the battery and putting it in again?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ok, run the driver testes in the vendor's help/faq page or call customer support guys for the sequence of tests to cofirm the same.
    I had this problem twice with my dell laptop and both the times it was fan which was running at slower rpm.
  • drnourasemary
    drnourasemary
    The_Big_K
    Difficult to guess. Did it start overheating recently or it's been like that ever since you bought it? What brand is it?

Did you try taking out the battery and putting it in again?
    It 's HP Pavillion tx2170ee.
    - I bought it 2009. it was working well till 2011.
    - One day the battery was empty and I shut it down (myself) before hibernation.
    - After charging, I coudn't turn it on again. no response, no screen signals.It seems dead 😔.
    - according to difficulties in the maintenance routiens in my institution, it was neglected since that time.
    - this year I tried repair it again, and I repaired it on my own responsibility about month ago.
    - It works again, but with overheating problem.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    Use the software speedfan and tell us the temperatures on battery and on ac power.

And you repaired your 'battery' you mean to say? How?
  • nowire9
    nowire9
    Possible battery charger issue? I know that vintage of HP has been known to have some battery charger issues. That would at least be a free & easy try if you could find someone with the same machine and try their battery charger on yours. I'd try their battery in your laptop as well, just to rule that out too.
  • drnourasemary
    drnourasemary
    optimystix
    Use the software speedfan and tell us the temperatures on battery and on ac power.

And you repaired your 'battery' you mean to say? How?
    windows starting(AC or Battery):
    GPU : 55C
    HD0:33C
    Temp1:36C
    Core:38C

Processing (Battery)
    GPU : 58C
    HD0:37C
    Temp1:45C
    Core:45C

Processing (AC) - before sudden shutdown
    GPU : 76C
    HD0:38C
    Temp1:96C
    Core:89C

I did not mean there was a battery problem. It was some thing in the power circuits which didn't conduct the electricity to the main components.
  • drnourasemary
    drnourasemary
    nowire9
    Possible battery charger issue? I know that vintage of HP has been known to have some battery charger issues. That would at least be a free & easy try if you could find someone with the same machine and try their battery charger on yours. I'd try their battery in your laptop as well, just to rule that out too.
    I have tested 3 chargers. the same problem occured.
  • drnourasemary
    drnourasemary
    I have tried some thing else now.
    I have recoverd the original operating system(vista) , as I was installed Win7 after the last maintenance. Hope it works.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    My Dell has had this overheating issue. The battery would get warmer than normal, acceptable levels and I know for sure that the fault is with the battery. Just wondering whether there are any specific areas on your laptop that are warmer? Have you tired to identify the hot spots?
  • drnourasemary
    drnourasemary
    Sirl
    The_Big_K
    My Dell has had this overheating issue. The battery would get warmer than normal, acceptable levels and I know for sure that the fault is with the battery. Just wondering whether there are any specific areas on your laptop that are warmer? Have you tired to identify the hot spots?
    It's not the battery. even with battery off, It is overheated.
    It's he processor and the fan which give hot feel.
    I have tried to recover my system to its original OS, but the problem is the same 😔 nothing changes.
  • drnourasemary
    drnourasemary
    I have changed the power strategy to power saving, with maximum power saving for both Battery and Plugin options.
    maximum processor performance set to 50%
    I think it's working now.
    the maximum temperature recorded is 55C.

I think it's the best solution I found since two weeks. 😀 even with low performance.
  • Dineshverma
    Dineshverma
    Dude - Use - inner cooler which you can use the bottom of your laptop.
    Just purchase it.
    Its have 2 extra fans which can make your laptop cool and ok.
    try this
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    coolers wont do wonders for a system running so hot.

Apply new layer of thermal paste and clean the clogged fins of the heatsink.
    If you cant do it, get it done professionally or through a knowledgeable person. Your laptop is old enough to warrant a paste change.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    you laptop can have two problem:
    1.lots of dust inside that cooler can't able circulate air.
    2.as optimystix says your heat sink paste which is bottom of processor fan needs to change.
    Goto laptop rapair shot and just ask them to clean inside of laptop and apply the new paste (which costs you 10-20 bucks).
  • Vivien.hugo
    Vivien.hugo
    Fan runs loud may be there are too many dust on the fan, this will cause high temperature.
    I think the expert in computer can solve your problems.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    the computers been old enough to demand a cleanup and change of thermal paste. But getting it done through computer shops will cost you a good amount. If you are not weak at hear, then follow step by step process available online for your laptop model and do it yourself 😉
  • SKsinha
    SKsinha
    The same problem I am facing on my IBM Acer laptop also. The engineer at their service center says to replace the battery though they also see a problem in CPU fan. I have replaced none yet but the problem is very frustrating. Excessive heating is something to do with battery is beyond my brain so decided to first get the fan replaced.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    do not get the fan replaced unless you see a drastic drop in rpm or hear it making lot of noise which may be hampering the normal functioning. Go for a thermal paste change. Can be done in less than rs 50 if you do it yourself or else add laptop technician's services charges to it. Changing a fan will cost you more and possibly wont solve much of your problems.
  • kamba giri
    kamba giri
    drnourasemary
    It 's HP Pavillion tx2170ee.
    - I bought it 2009. it was working well till 2011.
    - One day the battery was empty and I shut it down (myself) before hibernation.
    - After charging, I coudn't turn it on again. no response, no screen signals.It seems dead 😔.
    - according to difficulties in the maintenance routiens in my institution, it was neglected since that time.
    - this year I tried repair it again, and I repaired it on my own responsibility about month ago.
    - It works again, but with overheating problem.
    me too using the same model, got stuck with this kind of problems during the summer seasons.. Nothing to worry once try with a laptop cooling pad it can reduce the overheating problem...😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

gyz plz sombody help me out here; my question is: i want to connect a smart phone(wireless connection) to a pc in LAN.. plz suggest me what kind of hardware...
Richard Branson has been putting lot of money in making the aeroplanes fly using biofuel and now, the Boeing 787 is ready to take its first flight using the new...
Microsoft's perpetual cash cow, The Office Productivity Suite is getting ready for the next version, called Office 15 and it talks about cloud connectivity. The official-looking (yeah) video shows how...
Microsoft has launched the mobile keyboard 5000 in India at a price tag of Rs. 3350. Now as against the way Microsoft designs their products to work primarily with Windows,...
Discovery space shuttle has done its job and it's done it well; deserving an A+. Now the scuttle is ready for its second final flight (?) and has been mounted...