Know Your CEan – Shalini Goel

CEans,
She is one of the most active crazy engineers on CE. A software engineer by profession, she's got JAVA-solutions to most of the problems! CrazyEngineers community is proud to have her in the team. Our editor in chief, CEan- MayurPathak chatted with Shalini Goel to know more about her -
Shalini: Well, I can't believe today I am an engineer. Year 2001-2005 was the toughest part of my life until I got the job. I belong from a family where people don't prefer girl's education. They want them to get married as earlier as possible. My father was always an inspiration for me. Today also I can't forget his words "My daughters are my sons". Somewhere it was his dream that today I am an engineer. I have a story behind becoming an engineer. I wish once I achieve something in my life, I can share my story with the whole world. Right now hats off to my mother.

Coming to the Roorkee, unfortunately no mountains here, it lies in plains only and famous only for IIT Roorkee (Earlier Roorkee University) and military camp. If anyone want to see mountains go to Mussorie, Nainital, Pauri Garhwal, Haldwani, Rishikesh, Pantnagar, Dehradun etc. They all are in Uttaranchal only.

Q: You work in one of the largest Financial Software companies in the world. But I remember you were the one who wrote to me and biggie about your dissatisfaction with the job right? Tell us more about what you do, what you like and don't like about Oracle.

Shalini: It is not the same company that I joined. Unfortunately, we have been taken over by a big software company which is mainly interested only our flagship product. I like only this new brand to be very honest and nothing else. The bigger the company is, the more bad policies they have. We are just a subsidiary of the bigger company that acquired us. I miss my old company.

Yes that was the only thing that made me to join this forum, but times change we have to fight with the problems. If you raise your voice and you are right and true, things will always go in your favour. Something like that happened with me also that even today I am working with the same company, same project and same bosses and satisfied with my work also. Even I feel finally it depends on us how we deal with any situation. There is no guarantee that I will not face that same situation again in any other company. So how many times, I will keep on switching from one company to another company when I know situation will be somewhat similar everywhere.

Q: You are the one who believes in living carefree. So what keeps you busy apart from work?

Shalini: Making myself and others happy. I think there is always a life beyond work. Some live it with work only while some enjoy it. So I am among those who live and enjoy that part of life to the full extent, no stress of office work, only happy part of life. I forget about my office after I leave it.

Q: How is Bangalore?

Shalini: Bangalore's moderate climate attracts me more. I found people here to be simple and innocent. I don't like people doing here north-south thing. Overall cost of living is too much here. Anyhow I love Bangalore after Roorkee.

Q: So when you bumped into CE's website, what was your first impression?

Shalini: Its title attracted me towards it (Crazy Engineers). Mostly I have seen forums like Java forums, JavaScript forums, OTN forums etc. The Smalltalk on Home page with famous personalities like Guy Kawasaki, Dr. Bjarne Stroustrup , Johnathan Nightingale and many more increased my curiosity to know more about it. Later I came to know it is having sections for all engineering trades, help section, chit chat section and many more. That was wow and I could not resist myself from registering to this forum. You won't believe but this is the fact till now I have registered myself to only one forum. Others are left only for guest purposes.

Q: When you say you want to make it big and get counted, why not as a politician with truthful approach and reformist policies?

Shalini: To be very honest I hate politics .Anyways good suggestion, but would be good if I approach it after gaining some experiences from life. I would really like to do some reform policies with my money and efforts in my old age.

Q: Don't you think good politicians are the need of the hour?

Shalini: I feel a good leader is the need of the hour rather than the politicians. "Politicians work for the money and leaders work for the public", that is what I believe.

Q: Anyway, here are the quickies :

- Intelligent and Honest CEans (name as many as you like):

Shalini: Honest till now I found are: raj87verma88 and godfather

- Intelligent are many: The_Big_K, kidakaka, mayurpathak, ash, maro, frodo.rok, electron1112, Differential, durga, SilverScorpion, docel, crazyboy....list is not ending sorry.

- One thing you would like to change in CE (including the administrator and the Editor  ):

Shalini: Administrator and the CE editors are the only two roles that role-players are doing well. No changes for them. They know better ways of doing their job. You have asked only for one thing I would like to change many things in CE but unfortunately you have asked for one. So in one sentence I would like to make its members more and more active. Few suggestions I have (its your wish keep it or ignore it)

CE moderators: I think they can edit posts. So they should edit sms text language posts also if the author of that post do not edit. After all they have been given a responsibility of making forum clean.

CE ambassadors: They should chase new members themselves. They should take the initiative rather than only answering to the queries of those who asked.

I would like to have a separate Help tab just like Menu and Search which will display an article showing how to explore more and more features of CE along with screenshots(most important). This may help in making new members who are just school students to get more and more active and using the site to the full extent.

Every time when images/videos are not seen, a blank red cross icon type should be displayed so that reader gets an idea that some image part is missing and post make some sense for him.

-If not an engineer, you would be?

Shalini: I will answer this question from two angles:

MSc in Mathematics graduate pursuing for some research in that field.
Or
A part time social worker House-wife with kids.

- Given a chance and a shoe, who would you like to hit (aka George Bush)?

Shalini: Seriously I don't like hurting others physically. If I want to hurt anyone I do that with words only. Let me throw this shoe for all eve-teasers.

- Where do you see yourself 30 years from now?

Shalini: At the front page of any business magazine or newspapers.

Q: Last but not the least, imagine this- you are given 24 hours and a choice to choose any role, any profession and any resources (including money) in the world. What will you do with it and why?

Shalini: Good question but quite tough, I would like to play a 3 in 1 role and would like to have a school –cum-college-cum-Organization. So in 24 hrs I can't make it possible but would like to plan for it in a day and would invest all the money given somewhere to make it grow more until this plan of 3cum organization get started. Resources will also be kept for future use. I would like to be Principal/Dean/CEO of that Organization (3 in 1 role). I would like to make a school where my made education system is allowed. No CBSE/ICSE boards. The students of my school will get admissions in my college only, so no more tensions of getting ranks in competitions. After getting college degrees, they will get job in my organization only. In short everything will be my made and most important students and employees selection from the starting and of course teachers also will be only my decision. No upper caste and lower caste thing, no references will work. Only talented and capable people will be allowed. I will do this to make my country better and reducing lot of pressure taken in student life. Simple reason.

At last, Thanks for giving me a chance. I enjoyed answering the questions and liked your last question.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEan CrazyBoy has been with us since CE was very young. He has helped CE gain momentum when we had our low times. A Civil Engineer by education and currently...
Meet the CEan who's been helping CE from behind the scenes. KGV has been around on CE for quite some time. CEan - Mayur chatted with CEan - KGV, check...
Ever since its start about two years ago, CE has been gifted with exceptional contributors. CEan - Prasad Ajinkya (aka Kidakaka) is one of them. CEan - Kidakaka chatted with...
CEans, Our fellow CEan English-Scared aka Saandeep is with us since January 2009. In short period of time; he's contributed over 700 posts, organized CE Meet at Hyderabad (India) and...
Durga joined us on 5th October 2008, rose rapidly through the ranks and became part of the pioneering CE-Ambassador team. She has taken a lot of initiatives on CE including...