Joining Same Company after Resignation: Good or Bad?

Joining Same Company after Resignation: Good or Bad?

I have seen that a lot of people have to leave jobs for reasons such as better salary, maternity, paternity, location etc. However, they have to return to the same company after a couple of years. In such a scenarios, many people are apprehensive about joining the same company after resignation. Some one wrote to me on Twitter asking if I can share my thoughts on this issue.

This guy left the company he was working for because he had some issues with his manager. He got a new job but soon found that his new workplace wasn't making him happy. So, when there was an opening at his previous company, he decided to apply and got hired again. However, he is now nervous to rejoin the company and thinking if it is the right decision.

For starters, I believe there's absolutely nothing wrong in joining the same company, because in most cases you will be joining a completely new project. A lot of time has time passed since you left and therefore things have changed. If the role+salary that you are offered is something that you are really looking forward to, I see no reason to feel scared or apprehensive about joining the same organisation.

Unless, you have really bad experience about the work environments, company's work policies or poor management, it's not wrong to join the same workplace. In fact, I think it would look great on your resume for future employers - an indication that you gave the company another chance.

What are your thoughts about this, engineers? Know anyone who has re-joined the company? Do you think it's alright to do so?

Update:

Joining the same company after resigning is not an uncommon occurrence, and people have various reasons for doing so.

Here are a few factors to consider when contemplating rejoining a previous employer:

1. Reasons for Resignation: Reflect on the reasons that led to your initial resignation. If those reasons are still relevant and have not been addressed, returning to the same company might not be the best decision.

2. Career Goals: Evaluate how rejoining the company aligns with your long-term career goals. Consider if the position and opportunities available can contribute to your professional growth.

3. Changes in the Company: Assess whether the company has undergone significant changes since your departure. Changes in management, company culture, policies, or work environment may influence your decision.

4. Professional Network: Rejoining a previous employer allows you to reconnect with former colleagues and tap into your existing professional network, which can be advantageous for your career.

5. Personal Growth: Consider how rejoining the same company will contribute to your personal growth. Will it provide new challenges, learning opportunities, or the chance to develop new skills?

6. Job Market Evaluation: Compare the potential benefits of returning to your previous company with the opportunities available in the broader job market. Evaluate whether there are other options that better suit your needs and aspirations.

Ultimately, the decision to rejoin a company after resigning depends on your specific circumstances and preferences.

It can be a positive choice if the company has addressed the reasons for your initial departure and offers you a fulfilling and rewarding professional experience.

However, it's important to carefully consider all aspects before making a final decision.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    This is a frequent occurrence in my group. There is nothing wrong if it is a considered decision It should not be a case of jumping from the frying pan tothe fire and back to the frying pan. One can always jump out again.
    There is a story of a man condemned to death by the king, who grants a conditional reprieve. The man said that he would teach the king's horse to fly. When someone asked the man about this, he said,'I may die, the king may die or who knows - the horse may fly!'
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yep, nothing wrong with joining back your old company, unless you have an issue with their top management/culture/policies before hand.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A team of engineers from Northwestern’s McCormick School of Engineering has built a really fast 3D capture camera that works in all environments with equal aplomb. It so happens that...
TRAI has put all your email Ids and thoughts on NetNeutrality out in the public. The telecom regulatory authority of India had asked for people's comments on Net Neutrality and...
Spice Mobiles gained much popularity with its Stellar 526n smartphone that was launched this month at an affordable price with a decent set of features. Today, Spice has come up...
Quote: Low-power systems are all around us, and with the explosion of Internet of Things applications and wearable devices, they will become even more common. Understanding how to implement low-power...
Hi everyone Friends i want to know which is the toughest exam GATE or CEED. Yes both are conducted by IIT's. BUt i want to know the competition level of...