Jio Phone to get Special WhatsApp Version

The upcoming JIO phone is in News. With it, it was in market that the WhatsApp will not work on the JIO phone. The reason being this is, it works on kiaOS- the forked version of Firefox. WhatsApp doesn't supports this Operation System. this might lead to disappointment in people purchasing Jio Phone.
The discussions, between the Jio team and WhatsApp, still seem to be in its preliminary stage. Chances are that both the companies together may design a version on WhatsApp which will work on Jio Phone. A source close to Jio revealed to Factor Daily, "The talks are on. We already have a relationship with Facebook...There are technical challenges. A version (of WhatsApp) is needed that will work optimally on the JioPhone."
Their is news that Whatsapp may release its Tailored version specially for the Jio Phone.

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That was one of the first questions I had on my mind. AFAIK, there's no version of WhatsApp available that runs on the forked FF OS. I'm also curious to know if the phone can run Facebook and other popular apps. Because if those apps don't run on Jio Phone, it's going to put several people off.

I remember there were talks of Android One project. #-Link-Snipped-# had written a nice post explaining Android One: #-Link-Snipped-# . I'm wondering why wasn't that adopted for the JioPhone. It'd have at least ran the 'basic' apps.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    The reason why Android One was not adopted by Reliance Jio is very clear, it was a failed platform. Android One smartphones failed to make any kind of impact on Indian smartphone market due to lacklustre performance, failure to market the product offline and watering down of hardware requirements (late in 2015) to suit OEM manufacturers needs. I played around with a Karbonn Sparkle when it was launched and it was terrible across all parameters.

What Jio could have gone is gone with Android Go, the new light weight Android OS from Google meant to work with low performance chipsets. Sadly, Android Go is still in is development and Jio cannot wait for later as it has to capture market share quickly to make a profit.

WhatsApp based apps are plenty on the Firefox OS, notably Loqui IM but on forked variant like the Kai OS, I failed to find one as their app store cannot be accessed over the web.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Interesting information #-Link-Snipped-# . Google's had history of launching several initiatives and silently terminating the failed products. They only have a handful of successful products and that keeps them going.

I really want to know if these custom version of WhatsApp support standard features like photo and video sharing.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I need a super glue which effectively bonds plastic, with aluminum and galvanised iron. under what brand name is such a glue available in the market ? please guide me
Quote: It was a grueling match this past Saturday, with the Houston and St. Louis Alliances going head to head to see who would come out on top in the...
Coolpad has launched Note 5 Lite C in the country which would go on sale starting Saturday, August 5 2017. As the first offline exclusive Coolpad device, it would be...
Since last tuesday I am facing a strange issue with BSNL I am not able to connect with aws instance through port 22 Is anyone else facing same problem?