"JavaTutor" Will Track Your Expressions During Online Training Sessions

If you thought sleeping in a real classroom was more difficult than in a distance learning session, think again. Researchers at the North Carolina State University have developed a software that tracks the facial expressions of the students and determines whether you are genuinely interested in learning. They plan to use this information to make the teaching methodologies more effective. We think the software will definitely tell the teacher when you're sleepy. Make sure you're ready for the future of distance education!

Expression

The work done by the researchers is actually a part of the ongoing efforts to develop artificial intelligence software to teach computer science topics, says Dr. Kristy Boyer, an assistant professor of CS at NC state. The software is called JavaTutor and it will not only respondo what a student knows but also track facial expressions like frustration or engagement. Dr. Boyer believes that this is an important information because it plays a crucial role in the entire learning process.

The research team used automated Computer Expression Recognition Toolbox aka CERT program to evaluate facial expressions of 65 students enrolled in online tutoring sessions. The team found that CERT was able to correctly determine the facial movements & associated feelings. The output of the program was evaluated with expert human assessments and were found to be correct almost 85% of the times.

The team will present a paper titled "Automatically Recognising Facial Expression: Predicting Engagement And Frustration" at the International Conference On Educational Data Mining during 6-9 July at Memphis.

Read more about this research on the source link below -

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    AS AN ENGINEER I WOULD LIKE TO APPRECIATE THE IDEA AND INNOVATION . BUT AS A STUDENT I DONT WANT TO BE IN FRONT OF THIS TYPE OF TUTORIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    😭
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    The worst feeling I have in classes is asking permission to wash my face in the middle of a lecture These tutorials don't suit people like me who tend to be nocturnal most of the time

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello, could u please provide me the circuit diagram of a wheelchiar controlled using the eye movements. i would also want to include a system which enables the wheelchair to...
HI FRIENDS...... i had a doubt ...what happens when a dc current flows through capacitor and inductor?
I'm currently doing a project related to condenser and need latest fluent software for the analysis. I have googled over some sites but couldn't find the need relevant site for...
You do not need to be a "Doctor Who" fan to know about UK’s iconic red phone boxes. One would have thought that with the invention of mobile phones these...
This thread is a discussion on various smart android apps that entitles android phones as "Smart Phones".