Jaguar 'MindSense' Technology Reads Driver's Brainwaves

The premium car maker from UK is working on new 'MindSense' technology that promises to read the driver's brainwaves to see if they're concentrating enough on the road. Soon the JLR cars will be able to read your mind and make you aware of your own state through innovative feedback mechanisms. Jaguar believes that this approach will make the roads safer from stressed and distracted drivers which is one of the major causes of road accidents.

This research project at JLR is officially called 'MindSense' and it's based on the mind reading technology developed by NASA to train astronauts. It relies on medical-grade sensors that continuously scan the driver's heart rate, sweating along with brain activity to quickly identify whether the driver is in good condition to drive or not able to concentrate on driving task. It'll also check whether the driver is looking at the road or constantly taking eyes off the road.

Jaguar-Mindsense-JLR-Brainwave

Brainwave measurements typically involve attaching the sensors to a headband to be worn by the driver. In a car, this would be impractical. JLR therefore decided to mount the sensors on the steering wheel. JLR spokesperson said that because the sensors are away from driver's head, a special software has been developed to amplify the signals and filter out noise from pure brainwaves.

Dr. Wolfgang Epple, the director of research at JLR said that even if the driver is looking at the road he or she might be daydreaming. They may miss a warning or a sound alert from the car's system. To handle such scenario, the JRL team is including a vibration system in car's steering wheel and pedals. If the brain waves indicate that the driver is not concentrating on driving, the feedback mechanism will quickly vibrate the steering and pedals to get driver's attention.

JRL engineers are also developing a 'mid-air-touch' technology that will guess what buttons is the driver wants to press and then offer successful button selection without touching the touch-screen. A haptic feedback would inform the driver that the button selection was successful. These sensations can be of various types like 'tap' on your finger or 'tingling' on the tip.

Do check out the source link below and let us know your thoughts on having your car continuously keeping track of all your activities. Recommended reading: Jaguar Land Rover Cars Will Detect Potholes And Adjust Suspension Automatically.

Source: Jaguar create MindSense, for a car with a 'sixth sense' that reads your mind | Daily Mail Online

Replies

• msuresh444
    msuresh444
    Awesome technology!
    Basically for any mechanical system, the less electronics/circuits in it, more durable it would be. With the advance of very high tech and concepts built in cars, it would increase the price and even serviceability issues. There are many cases all over the world, where the doors would lock themselves up and not open during fire or accidents! Even in India many people have been killed due to the faults in ECUs during emergencies.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Featuring a shiny new jewel studded front grille, a sporty two-tone bumper, roof rails and anthracite-alloy five-spoke wheels with stylish arch cladding, the all new Renault Lodgy Stepway is ready...
I'm interested in web development so tell me should i learn it online or from a institute ? Also tell me should i learn python or java because java is...
Hero MotoCorp India has launched the new iteration of its popular bike. The new 2015 Passion Pro comes in 8 attractive colours & new features. Priced at Rs. 50,050 (ex-Showroom...
Here is an interesting take on single tasking, being in the present, just being: https://itsawowlife.wordpress.com/
Every person has crazy ideas. Ideas that can someday become the next innovative product. Very few however have the resources to make the journey from idea to actual development of...