Is There Any Relation Between Mobile Internet & Power Cut-Off ?

Today first time 3 times consecutively after 2 hours there was Power cut-ff. I noticed that during Power cut-off I wasn't able to use packet data. When Packet data option wasn't active, the towers strength was 90%+ but when I active packet data, it drops to <10%.

At first I thought, it's not related to Power cut-off, but after 2 more power cut-offs after that I realised that it's something to do with power cut-ff because when there was no power cut-ff I was able to access packet data but when there was power cut-ff, I wasn't able to.

have you guys noticed same ?
I would like to know more about this problem.

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    i have not experienced the problem like this.Usuall there are two energy sources 1)on-grid & 2)off-grid.The first one uses the same power source of residents while the other one uses generators with backups such as fuel cell and windmill.If your cellphone tower is using on-grid source, I think you may be correct.(correct me if im wrong).
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Interesting observation! And I guess what @#-Link-Snipped-# (Dude, you have got a big name!) said, does makes sense. I mean, they are routing the network through towers and towers consume power. If there is power outage, I guess it should effect mobile internet.
  • Abhijit Dey
    Abhijit Dey
    What I observed is during power cuts only BSNL drops internet connectivity while Vodafone stays on.
  • lal
    lal
    I wonder why something like that should happen! Every base station, as far as I know, is occupied with a backup source to energise it during power outages. I can only guess that they are restricting their offered services to prolong the time the backup source can power the base station for, by providing only the basic connectivity. I never experienced such a problem before, even when the power was out.
  • yogi.bharadwaj
    yogi.bharadwaj
    it may be ocured because the tower also use the power supple and when it cut off then it uses a backup source like generator.and it may be possible it uses the power saver mode like it uses or got less power then it sends less signal beause of less power input so it totally depands on the tower station configuration of your area.If you wants more info them pls go to the tower station and consult them about. they may be able to answer this.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    This is really an interesting observation. Could you guys explain it a bit more?

I had heard on-grid and off-grid so far only in the context of Solar Energy. (and of course in the context of shunning Facebook šŸ˜ )

Do we lose the mobile data tower connection always? I haven't experienced this on my phone.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Yes, if there is a power outage your internet will not work very well.
    My assumptions are you are using 3G and talking about that. And i also assume that you are staying a bit far from the tower.

The tower transmits signals in frequency at 900-1800 Mhz, and if you have 3G using you will get in 2100Mhz band, and you will have speed more than that in 2G.

But when there is a power outage, tower transmits minimum signal for 2G for voice calls and texting, and if there are more people browsing the signal will be shared across and you will get very low speed internet.

This will be avoided in 4G, which has a self healing mechanism for these power outages. will explain what i know in a different thread.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Yes Initiallly I thought that this gearbox resembles CVT and it was a copycat of CVT but on reading the full explanation given by them,I hope you will be also...
With the launch new PS Vita, Sony had shown its commitment in keeping the mobile gaming console alive and with the next product Sony aims at bringing gaming and video...
Opera understands that browsing on your iPad has never been a smooth sailing experience for anyone. So to make sure that the iPad gets the browser ā€˜it deservesā€™ it has...
Happy Engineers Day - is the title of CrazyEngineers' essay competition on the occasion of Engineers Day in India. This thread is meant only for the official essay entries for...
September 15 is celebrated as 'Engineers Day' in India in the honor of Sir Mokshagundam Visvesvarayya on this birth day. Now that we're just a few days away from celebrating...