Is quantum mechanics essential or needed as an Electronics and Communication Engineer ?

Well, I had in college 4 lectures only about quantum mechanics .. and I think I liked it .. would it help me sooner or later as an Electronics and Communications Engineer ? b/c I think I may continue reading and learning about it alone .. if it's only *Essential*

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Why not enjoy it on its own?

The following lectures by prof. Dr.S.Lakshmibala are interesting. I have had many lively discussions with her about this. It was easy as she happens to be the wife of my brother in law Dr.Sriram, himself a professor of physics in the Madras university.

NPTEL IITm

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

I'd say learn it out of curiosity and not with an aim to crack exams. From my personal experience, if one decides to really like something - they can like it. I hated programming; but decided to learn it anyway and now I enjoy it. ? 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

#-Link-Snipped-# , you have hit the nail on the head.

• Abdelrahman Rabah
    Abdelrahman Rabah

#-Link-Snipped-#  I actually thought it that way .. but what I meant by the question .. would I ever use it in my life ? 

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Well, I'm an Electrical engineer by education but I can't fix any electric appliance in my house. I learned transformers and motors - but I've to rely on technicians to address any issues. 

But I'm good at programming; I learned it and it has no connection with my degree!

You may not use Quantum Mechanics ever in life. It totally depends upon the profession you choose. I chose to work on computers and that's what I do well. Had I chosen to be an electrical engineer, I'd a really good one for sure. 

Don't think about whether you'll actually use things 'ever'. Just enjoy it and learn things out of curiosity. 'Curiosity' is something that will push you ahead. 

• Abdelrahman Rabah
    Abdelrahman Rabah

#-Link-Snipped-# loved your reply actually .. ? thanks a lot. <3

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

#-Link-Snipped-# , you never know. I find myself using in work what I studied ages back. For example, right now I am personally working on developing an electrolytic process (electrochemical technology was my elective in 1957) for modifying aluminium surface.

You will surprise yourself with what you will do with what you picked up for fun or interest.

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

They say curiosity killed the cat. But you are not a cat!

• Abdelrahman Rabah
    Abdelrahman Rabah

#-Link-Snipped-#  well, I think after finishing this semester will start reading and learning quantum mechanics .. as u said .. I will never know ..
    Thanks <3 :D

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

HI, i got rank of 3186(section A+B) in cdac DECEMBER 2018. MAY I KNOW CAN I GET A SEAT IN  ANY CDAC  INSTITUTE MAY BE IN FIRST CONSELLING OR SECOND...
what  is T24 CORE BANKING  JOBS AND WHAT ARE THE SKILLS REQUIRED FOR T24 ?
I am a second year Computer Science student. I wanna do a mini-project in Operating systems in C. I dont have any idea of what to do.Please explain me which...
This website used to host a forum which was a lot more practical than this discussion app.  Is it gone?  Or is it at a different URL now?