Is Mobile Penetration Causing The Drop In Overall Connection Speeds In The World?

According to the latest #-Link-Snipped-#, the overall connection speeds in the world have dropped by over 14%. I think it's the growing adoption of the mobile phones to access the Internet that's causing a big drop in internet connectivity speeds. While the wireless broadband is yet to catch up with the traditional wired broadband; it seems to be the way to future.

Do you think that *is* the reason for the drop in overall connection speeds of Internet all over the world? How do you see wireless connection speeds growing in future?

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    This indeed is an interesting topic and could clear a lot of my concepts about wireless connections. #-Link-Snipped-# - would like to know your views on this one.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    #-Link-Snipped-#

In the original report, you can see that the average connection speeds for most countries are fluctuating, if you look at the long term, right from Q3 2007. For example, in India, the average connection speed in Q3 2007 was 931 Kbps, which is not much different from the recent Q3 2011 result, which is 942 Kbps. But in between, there have been ups and downs, the speeds were fluctuating and there was not a definite pattern.

The same is true of countries like the USA, Sweden and even South Korea. In fact, the fluctuations in South Korea are too much, that from 12 Mbps in one quarter, it will go down to 11 the next, rise up to 14 the next one and then again fall back to 12.. I think we have to account for a lot more factors if we want to explain this.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    hmm, ISPs make less money when providing data services , may be they are rather trying to squeeze in more customers and that is affecting the speeds.. its just a may be..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

LG has began blaming the Windows operating system for the poor sales. LG announced that they'll adopt the android operating system for the future manufacturing. But I wonder whether it's...
At the IIT- Bombay campus a survey was conducted that revealed that future engineers in India may not be ‘very happy’. Over 200 students on campus were given the ‘Oxford...
It’s just too difficult, they say. Most good engineers will be having a campus-placed job. These engineers are already making serious money. There are also people who are currently working...
An innovative start-up founded by two IIT alumni in the U.S is the latest acquisition of the social networking giant Facebook. Tagtile,(https://tagtile.com/) an e-commerce start-up with a focus on helping...
With the proliferation of IT, and as the field is independent of the academic education, being based on "logic", high salary, and requirement of only scarce commodity i.e. "analytical skills"...