Is it okay to call Employees As 'Resources'?

I've often had problems with employees (read humans) being called 'Resources' under the name 'Human Resource'.

Look at the Wikipedia Definition of 'Resource' - A resource is any physical or virtual entity of limited availability that needs to be consumed to obtain a benefit from it.

Wikipedia says the following about "Human Resource" -

"Human resources is a relatively modern management term, coined as early as the 1960s - when humanity took a shift as human rights came to a brighter light during the Vietnam Era".

The problem started when managers started looking at their team as a 'resource' - something they can use to obtain benefit from it. Well, that's what I think. What's your opinion?

Dilbert-Strip-Carbon-Paper

Replies

• itchap
    itchap
    I think it is right to call an employee as resource as look at the following lines which i take from Wikipedia itself.

"Human beings are also considered to be resources. The term Human Resources can also be defined as the skills, energies, talents, abilities and knowledge that are used for the production of goods or the rendering of services.Wikipedia:citation Needed
    In a Project Management context, human resources are those employees responsible for undertaking the activities defined in the project plan."
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The_Big_K
    Dilbert-Strip-Carbon-Paper
    Carbon Paper has higher priority ๐Ÿ˜

Dilbert shows why getting a job is so appealing. ๐Ÿ˜›
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    I am a layman in HR things, but isn't human resource a term given to the 'service offered by humans' rather than 'humans'? I hope that is the difference. Please correct me.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    To me, resources is all about Printer, Computer, Software, Hardware, Machines etc. The topic of debate is whether we should consider humans in the same category. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    I hope I am clear with that point, Humans are not the resources, service given by humans(which they provide for their pay-cheque) are the resources.
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    But now the companies following the same ,for example in a particular Release how many resources occupied?
    the effort required by paricular resources etc,I am also wondering they take us like this !!
  • makru921
    makru921
    Considering that employees are assets of the company, we can obviously call them resources - for companies obtain benefit from employees. The height of considering employees as resources, which i have seen, is where i work. Being an organisation providing services to the oil field industry, we charge the customers for our service man-hours. In our ERP system, every employee's ID number is equivalent to the serial number of any asset (tools or machinery). So when we charge our customers fot the engineer's service, in the ERP, we make an invoice with the 'asset serial number' of the employee (which is his HR ID number).

So when it comes to money and profits(where everything finally comes to i suppose!), employees can be considered as resources..๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I think there is a thin line of difference between 'considering' the employees as resources & 'calling' them a resource.

I for one, would not have liked calling my employees as a resource. It sounds just too mundane! :-|

According to me, employees should be treated as the most important part of the organization so that they truly love being a part of it and every morning when they rise, they have the same enthusiasm to get back to work.
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    If company treats their employees with proper attention, works on improvement of employee satisfaction and performance, preserving there personal health and well-being,enable work-life balance then calling employee as resource or anything will not be a problem.
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    AbraKaDabra
    I for one, would not have liked calling my employees as a resource. It sounds just too mundane! :-|

According to me, employees should be treated as the most important part of the organization so that they truly love being a part of it and every morning when they rise, they have the same enthusiasm to get back to work.
    I too agree with AKD. It is very disrespectful to call employees as resources... After all it is the employees whom these companies are ever trying to retain in their organization through incentives etc... They have got a separate department in their organization too only for human RESOURCES.
  • Yamini L
    Yamini L
    Employees are human beings with great minds, who can think and act. I am not at all for calling employees as resources. In fact, corporates are treating employees like renewable resources. They are trying to exploit and extract as much from their employees.

A sense of belonging is required. Mutual respect and self esteem is all the more important.Because they are considered as resources, employees are developing a " work for what you are being paid" kind of attitude.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This is a very simple tip however ignored by many candidates appearing for campus interviews. Make sure that you switch off your mobile before you enter the interview room. Don't...
This is nice story with good morol.... once there was a kindergarten teacher who decided to let her class play a game.. She each child in the class to bring...
We've been scratching our heads to organize innovative contests for all our CEans and a video contest seems like an awesome idea. Let me explain - We are planning to...
Steam Power Cycle is used generally in Thermal Power plants. Suppose we replace water with Ammonia . I think it has the property of evaporating quickly when the temperature is...
Can anyone plz explain me how solar glasses work. I was in a recent industrial training to saint gobain, got really interested into finding that ..